Permissible Activities in Regards to Prospective Student-Athletes
The following are permissible actions by representatives of athletics interests with regard to prospective student-athletes:
- YOU MAY attend high school and junior college athletic events.
- YOU MAY continue prior established family relationships with friends and neighbors. Questions about prior established family relationships should be directed to the Compliance Office. Contacts with sons or daughters of these families certainly are permitted as long as they are not made for recruiting purposes and are not initiated by UConn's coaching staff members. You are permitted to play "pick-up" basketball or softball games, continue neighborhood picnics or backyard barbecues and engage in your normal activites with prospects and their parents who are family friends. Again , you simply are not permitted to attempt to recruit the prospect or discuss the athletics program.
- YOU MAY attend a public event (e.g., a high school awards banquet or dinner) at which prospects are in attendance. No attempt should be made to recruit the prospect.
- YOU MAY send to the UConn coaching staff any newspaper clippings or other information about prospects that you think would be of interest. Your assistance in this way is very helpful. The coaching staff will then make the contact with the prospect.
- YOU MAY discuss summer employment arrangements with a prospect after he/she has signed a National Letter of Intent.