Home | About UConn Athletics | Directions | Schedules | Tickets | Facilities | Staff | Sponsors





UConn Tops Villanova, 3-2, In Overtime To Win BIG EAST Tournament Championship

PDF Boxscore

HTML Boxscore

NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. (Nov. 6, 2005) – University of Connecticut freshman Lindsey Leck (Clarksburg, N.J.) scored a goal 2:40 into overtime off a pass from senior Laura Puddle (London, England) to give the Huskies a 3-2 win in the championship game of the 2005 BIG EAST field hockey tournament.

The tournament title was the second in a row for the Huskies and their sixth in the past eight years. UConn earns the BIG EAST automatic berth in the NCAA Championship as pairings for that event will be announced on Tuesday. The trip to the 2005 NCAAs will be the 17th in program history with national championships coming in 1981 and 1985.

UConn junior Meagan Hoffmann (West Granby, Conn.) was named as the tournament's Most Outstanding Player, marking the ninth time a UConn player has been recognized with the honor.

Connecticut was the No. 2 seed in the BIG EAST tournament while Villanova was the top seed. UConn improves to 16-5 with the win while Villanova falls to 15-5.

Villanova took the early lead on a goal by Megan Foster 2:58 into play off feeds from Lauren Campanelli and Sara Schmidt following a penalty corner. UConn regrouped and scored a shorthanded goal at 9:12 into the half as Hoffmann tied the score on an unassisted goal. The Huskies out-shot Villanova, 11-1, in the first half and had one goal called off to leave the score at 1-1 heading into the break.

The Huskies controlled the tempo early in the second half, taking seven shots to Villanova’s one in the first 11 minutes of action. UConn took the lead on an unassisted goal by Kristin Galuski (Latham, N.Y.) 23:57 into the second half off a penalty corner rebound.

The Wildcats knotted the score at 2-2 in the same fashion when Campanelli scored, unassisted off a penalty corner rebound 27:18 into the half after UConn goalie Melissa Bostwick (San Diego, Calif.) had stopped the first Villanova attempt.

In the second half, UConn outshot Villanova by a 9-4 count. At the close of regulation, the Huskies had dominated the play offensively, out-shooting the Wildcats 17-5.

Copyright ©<%response.write(Year(Date))%> the University of Connecticut and Nerac, Inc.. All rights reserved worldwide. No portion of this site may be reproduced or duplicated without the express written permission of UConn Division of Athletics and its third-party content partners.  Report A Problem With This Site