Home | About UConn Athletics | Directions | Schedules | Tickets | Facilities | Staff | Sponsors





Second Half Comeback Puts UConn Past Georgetown 2-1 In BIG EAST Quarterfinal Game

The Huskies will take on West Virginia in the Semifinals of the BIG EAST Tournament in South Bend, Ind. on November 7


Box Score [html]


Box Score [.pdf]


WASHINGTON, D.C. (October 24, 2008) – In their BIG EAST Quarterfinal game, the University of Connecticut women’s soccer team used two early second half goals to overcome a 1-0 halftime deficit and beat Georgetown 2-1 in a rematch of last year’s quarterfinal game. The Huskies (7-8-5, 4-3-4 BIG EAST) scored the game-tying goal just minutes into the second half and on a free kick inches outside the box, were able to go ahead of the Hoyas (13-4-2, 7-4-0 BIG EAST) during the 66th minute of play.

The Huskies came out firing in the first half taking five shots on goal during the first thirteen minutes of the game. During the eighteenth minute of play, Georgetown took the lead on a penalty kick in a play reminiscent of last year’s quarterfinal match against the Huskies in Storrs. The goal was the first of the season for Georgetown’s Caitlin Durkee giving the Hoyas an early 1-0 lead. The penalty kick was the second allowed by the Huskies on the year.

There wasn’t any more scoring action during the rest of the first half as Georgetown took four more shots, one on goal and the Huskies were able to get two more shots off, but none of the shots could find the back of the net. Each goalie went into halftime with two saves.

Freshman Karen Gurnon (Tolland, Conn.) came out shooting for the Huskies taking their first three shots of the half. Gurnon’s first shot, a header was saved by the Georgetown goalie Jackie Desjardin. Her second shot was blocked but on the third shot, Gurnon helped the ball into the goal on a cross from junior Ashley O’Brien (Broad Brook, Conn.). The goal was the first of the year for Gurnon and couldn’t have come at a better time tying the game up at one apiece at 52:44. O’Brien’s helper was her second of the year, her first came in the final regular season game against St. John’s.

UConn kept the offense going when just 13 minutes later, after a foul by Georgetown, junior Annie Yi (Indianapolis, Ind.) on her first shot of the day put the ball past Desjardin to give UConn the 2-1 lead. The shot taken by Yi at 65:41 was on a free kick off of the foul taken just inches outside the top center of the box. The goal was Yi’s fifth of the year, tying her with senior Brittany Tegeler (Baldwin, Md.) for the most goals on the team.

The Huskies were able to fend off the Hoyas during the final 24 minutes of the game only allowing them two shots, both of which were saved by senior goalie Stephanie Labbe (Stony Plain, Alberta). Labbe finished the game with three saves.

UConn is back in action next weekend against West Virginia in semifinal round action that will take place in South Bend, Ind. Friday, November 7. UConn will be playing at 2:30 p.m.

GOALS BY PERIOD    1st     2nd      Total
1        0         1
0        2         2

1. 17:28 Georgetown  Caitlin Durkee (penalty kick)
2. 52:44 UConn          Gurnon, Karen (O’Brien, Ashley)
3. 65:41 UConn             Yi, Annie (free kick)

Connecticut 4, Georgetown 4
Connecticut 14, Georgetown 9




[FrontPage Include Component]