March 16, 2013
GREENVILLE, S.C. – Redshirt-sophomore RHP Carson Cross (Exeter, N.H.) improved to 4-0 on the season behind a 13-2 win for the University of Connecticut baseball team over Presbyterian College at Fluor Field, Saturday evening. The Huskies improved to 10-5 on the season, while the Blue Hose dropped to 12-8.
Cross pitched a career-long eight innings and gave up two runs, one earned, on five hits and one walk, while striking out a career-high eight batters. His 21.1-scoreless innings streak was snapped on a solo home run by PC redshirt-senior center fielder Aaron Preston in the second inning, giving the Blue Hose the first lead of the game.
UConn responded with two monster innings, posting five runs in the third and five more in the fourth.
The Huskies tied the game on a double by freshman DH Bryan Daniello (Norwalk, Conn.) and took the lead on a double by junior shortstop Tom Verdi (Warwick, R.I.). The big hit in the inning was a two-out single by sophomore left fielder Eric Yavarone (North Haven, Conn.).
In the fourth, Daniello posted another RBI double, followed by a RBI triple from Verdi. Redshirt-senior center fielder Billy Ferriter (Nashua, N.H.) reached on a fielding error and stole third base; the 81st of his career to become UConn’s all-time leader.
Verdi went 3-for-6 out of the lead-off spot with four runs batted in and three scored. Ferriter finished the day with two steals, three runs scored and two hits in five at-bats.
Daniello posted a four-hit day, in five at-bats, with three runs scored. Senior second baseman LJ Mazzilli (Greenwich, Conn.)
extended his hitting streak to nine games on a 1-for-4 day with one run, one RBI and one steal.
Junior righty Chandler Knox (2-1) lasted just three-plus innings in the loss. He surrender nine runs, seven earned, on nine hits and one walk.
The Huskies and Blue Hose return to the Presbyterian campus for the series finale Sunday at 1:00 pm.
- Fluor Field is the home of the Boston Red Sox Single-A affiliate Greenville Drive…Former Husky Matt Barnes spent the first half of the 2012 season in Greenville.
- Carson Cross is 5-0 in seven career starts; his four wins in 2013 are just one shy of the team-high from 2012 (David Fischer and Scott Oberg).
- Billy Ferriter passed Dennis Dwyer (1990-93) for most all-time in career steals.
- LJ Mazzilli’s nine-game hitting streak matches the team-high for the season.
- Tom Verdi became the fourth UConn player with four RBI in a game this season.
- Ryan Moore made his first appearance since February 24 vs. Texas Tech.
- Connor David has three doubles in 18 at-bats after having zero extra-base hits in 60 at-bats as a freshman.
- 13 runs matches a season-high, previously set against Troy (Feb. 23).