PROVO, Utah - Trailing 7-6 in the ninth, the UConn baseball team scored two runs to prevail 8-7 over BYU on Friday night at Miller Field.
The Huskies (9-7) won their first game when trailing after eight innings this season. Junior Willy Yahn (Sharon, Conn.) led off the ninth with a double into left center field. Catcher Zac Susi (Southington, Conn.) quickly followed with an RBI single back up the middle to tie the game at seven. Susi's hit produced his fifth RBI of the ballgame, a new career-high.
Aaron Hill pinch ran for Susi and eventually came around to score the go-ahead run on a passed ball with two outs in the ninth.
After a bumpy eighth inning, John Russell (Glastonbury, Conn.) recorded his first career win with a scoreless ninth. The right-hander struck out six batters and only gave up one hit.
Wills Montgomerie pitched well for the Huskies and left the ballgame with a 5-3 lead in the seventh. He threw 6.2 innings, allowing six hits; four runs and struck out six.
Yahn produced three hits for the first time this season and came up a home run shy of the cycle on Friday.
Yahn helped set up a run in the third after a hustle triple in the third. Center fielder Kyle Dean looked to secure a diving catch on Yahn's line drive but the ball popped out of his glove and Yahn made it all the way to third.
A couple pitches later Susi drove in Yahn on an RBI ground out to make it 3-1 UConn.
John Toppa registered his first multi-hit game of the season, going 2-4 in the contest.
The Huskies finish out their Spring Break trip tomorrow at 3 p.m. ET. UConn is currently 3-3 on the trip and attempt to grab its second road series win of the trip.
- Zac Susi drove in a career-high five RBIs on Friday night. Susi now has 18 RBIs on the season in 16 games. Last year Susi had 21 RBIs in his freshman season.
- Susi recorded three hits on Friday. He now has seven multi-hit games on the year. Last season Susi notched six total multi-hit performances.
- The Huskies won their first game this season when trailing after eight. UConn won three games last season when trailing after eight innings.
- Willy Yahn collected his first three-hit game of the season. Last year, Yahn led the team with 25 multi-hit games including nine games with at least three hits.
- Montgomerie finished the 2016 season with 87 strikeouts. Through five starts this season, he has compiled 52 strikeouts already.