March 23, 2013
BETHESDA, Md. – Redshirt-sophomore righty Carson Cross (Brentwood, N.H.) pitched seven-scoreless innings in a 6-0 shutout win for the University of Connecticut baseball team at Georgetown, Saturday afternoon. The Huskies improved to 12-7 overall and 1-1 in the BIG EAST, while the Hoyas had an eight-game win streak snapped and now stand at 15-7 and 1-1.
Cross (5-0) won his fifth consecutive start in seven-plus innings, while scattering eight hits, striking out five and walking none. He got in to trouble in the eighth by giving up back-to-back singles to lead-off the frame, but was relieved by senior RHP Ryan Moore (Bristol, Conn.). Moore, the team’s designated closer, locked down his first save of the season as he struck out one and allowed just one base runner in two innings.
UConn, playing as the home team on the road for the weekend, jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the bottom of the first. Junior shortstop Tom Verdi (Warwick, R.I.) led off with a single to left, redshirt-senior center fielder Billy Ferriter (Nashua, N.H.) walked and senior second baseman LJ Mazzilli (Greenwich, Conn.) smashed a home run to left field.
For Mazzilli, it was his team-leading fourth home run of the season and the 19th of his career. He also extended his season-long hitting streak to 13 games.
Senior designated hitter Stanley Paul (Stamford, Conn.) made his first start since injuring his left thumb on February 23. He went 2-for-4 with a RBI double in the eighth. Freshman first baseman Bobby Melley (Barnstable, Mass.) recorded his second straight multi-hit game by going 2-for-4 and drove in a run in the third.
Senior lefty Thomas Polus (2-2) finished on the short-side of the decision for Georgetown. He lasted six innings and was tagged for four runs on five hits and two walks.
The weekend finale is set for 1:00 pm Sunday as junior lefty Brian Ward (Milford, Conn.) takes the hill for the Huskies.
- Carson Cross has won five consecutive starts and is 6-0 in eight career starts.
- Cross’ five wins match UConn’s co-leaders from 2012 (Scott Oberg, David Fischer).
- LJ Mazzilli’s 13-game hitting streak matches a career-best that carried over from 2012 into the 2013 season opener.
- Ryan Moore has one save in one opportunity and a 0.00 ERA in eight relief innings.
- UConn stole one base, marking the eighth game with one or less and has just four steals in the last four games.
- UConn is now 3-6 on the season when being outhit by its opponent.
- UConn’s last shutout came in an 11-inning, 1-0 win over Texas Tech (Feb. 24).