April 5, 2013
STORRS, Conn. – Redshirt-sophomore right-hander Carson Cross (Brentwood, N.H.) struck out 10 batters in his first career complete game, but the University of Connecticut baseball team fell to St. John’s, 3-0, at J.O. Christian Field on Friday afternoon. The Huskies dropped their third-straight BIG EAST series opener as they dipped to 16-12 overall and 3-4 in league play. The Red Storm improved to 13-16 and 3-4.
UConn left 12 runners on base and went 0-for-11 with runners in scoring position.
Cross (5-1) gave up a season-high three runs on 10 hits without walking a batter. He allowed two runs in the first on back-to-back two out hits from STJ junior first baseman Frank Schwindel and redshirt-junior center fielder Martin Kelly.
In the top of the third, St. John’s loaded the bases with no outs, but Cross recorded three consecutive outs, including two strikeouts, to leave it a two run ball game. In the bottom half, the Huskies loaded the bases with no outs and were held scoreless as redshirt-junior RHP James Lomangino recorded two strikeouts and a fly out.
Lomangino (1-2) worked seven innings, throwing 126 pitches, and scattered four hits and three walks, while striking out seven. Freshman righty Joey Graziano nailed down his third save of the year in two innings out of the pen.
Against Graziano in the eighth, UConn brought the potential tying run to the plate after sophomore left fielder Eric Yavarone (North Haven, Conn.) picked up an infield single and freshman Max McDowell (North Huntington, Pa.) was hit by a pitch in a pinch-hit appearance. Senior LJ Mazzilli (Greenwich, Conn.), out with a bruised foot, came out of the dug out to pinch hit and grounded out to third and a hard hit ball to end the threat.
On the day, Yavarone went 2-for-4 as the Huskies were outhit, 10-5.
Connecticut and St. John’s take the field at 1:00 pm on Saturday as junior lefty Anthony Marzi (Berlin, Conn.) takes on senior lefty Sean Hagan.
- The game was the 111th meeting between the two team with St. John’s lifting its lead in the series to 57-54.
- UConn had at least four freshman in the lineup for the 15th time this season.
- LJ Mazzilli missed a start for the first time since April 1, 2012 against Seton Hall…50 straight games.
- Carson Cross pitched the first complete game for UConn since Anthony Marzi at USF (May 12, 2012) and recorded 10 strikeouts for the first time since David Fischer vs. Notre Dame (May 17, 2012).
- UConn has lost three games in a row for the first time since being swept at USF (May 11-13, 2012).
UCONN OFFICIAL STORE
UCONN OFFICIAL AUCTIONS