April 9, 2013
STORRS, Conn. – No earned runs were scored and the two sides combined for seven errors in a 4-2 loss for the University of Connecticut baseball team at the hands of visiting Northeastern at J.O. Christian Field on Tuesday afternoon. UConn dropped to 18-13 on the season, while NU improved to 19-13.
Northeastern grabbed a 2-0 lead off Connecticut freshman lefty Christian Colletti (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) in the third inning. Sophomore first baseman Rob Fonseca led off with a single to left, his first of three hits, and scored on a fielder’s choice hit into by sophomore catcher Josh Treff. Sophomore second baseman Michael Foster scored the second run of the inning after drawing a walk. UConn committed two errors in the frame.
Colletti (2-1) lasted 5.1 innings, giving up three runs on three hits, three walks and four errors. For NU, sophomore lefty Isaac Lippert (3-1) picked up the win in six innings of shutout ball. He scattered eight hits and struck out five. Senior righty Dylan Maki locked down his sixth save of the season, entering with two men on base and one out in the bottom of the eighth.
Connecticut cut the lead in half in the eighth inning on a pair of runs scoring on a fielder’s choice hit into by freshman second baseman Bryan Daniello (Norwalk, Conn.) and an error by Treff on the play. Senior designated hitter LJ Mazzilli (Greenwich, Conn.) reached on an error by the shortstop and freshman first baseman Bobby Melley (Barnstable, Mass.) singled past first to put runners on the corners. Sophomore left fielder Eric Yavarone (North Haven, Conn.) was then hit by a pitch, giving way to Daniello.
UConn was able to bring the tying run to the plate after redshirt-senior center fielder Billy Ferriter (Nashua, N.H.)
singled to left and advanced on an error, but Maki was able to work past Mazzilli and freshman third baseman Vinny Siena (Woodbridge, Conn.)
to end the game.
Out of the bullpen, senior RHP Stephen Catalina (Wolcott, Conn.) pitched 1.2 innings and gave up one unearned run on a hit and a walk. Redshirt-freshman RHP Max Slade (Cheshire, Conn.) tossed two shutout innings, striking out two and only allowing one hit.
Fot the game, UConn outhit NU, 10-5, and left 11 runners on base.
Connecticut is back in action tomorrow for a 3:30 pm first pitch at Brown.
- Billy Ferriter’s one hit tied him for second all-time in program history with George Springer (09-11) with 242.
- Eric Yavarone registered his 10th multi-hit game of the season.
- UConn is 3-3 against teams from New England this year, having lost each of its last three.
- Stephen Catalina has allowed four runs this season; all unearned.
- Max McDowell threw out two potential base stealers in a game for the first time this season and has now thrown out six for the year.
- The loss marked UConn's third of the season when outhitting the opponent.
- UConn is now 0-12 on the year when trailing after seven innings.