April 24, 2013
SMITHFIELD, R.I. - The University of Connecticut baseball team overcame six runs allowed in the first two innings for an 11-6 non-conference win at Bryant on Wednesday afternoon. The Huskies improved to 25-16 on the season, while the Bulldogs dropped to 25-13-1.
UConn strung together four consecutive one-out singles, including RBI hits by freshmen Vinny Siena (Woodbridge, Conn.) and Bobby Melley (Barnstable, Mass.), in the top of the first to push across three runs. Bryant answered back immediately with four two-out hits, including a two-run single by sophomore right fielder Dan St. George, to go on top, 4-3.
The Bulldogs increased their lead to three with a pair of runs in the bottom of the second on a two-run double to left-center by senior third baseman Kevin Brown. Brown led the way for the offense a 3-for-5 performance.
The Huskies cut the deficit to one in the fourth on a double down the left field line by sophomore left fielder Eric Yavarone (North Haven, Conn.) that scored a pair.
In the sixth, Connecticut loaded the bases with one out, bringing redshirt-senior center fielder Billy Ferriter (Nashua, N.H.) to the plate. Ferriter picked up his third hit of the afternoon and drove in two runs, giving UConn a 7-6 lead, on a double to right-center that fell in between the two Bryant outfielders.
Ferriter added an insurance run for the Huskies in the eighth on a deep fly ball to left field that was dropped; allowing Ferriter to reach third and score on a throwing error to the infield. Ferriter finished the day 3-for-6 with two runs and two RBI.
In the ninth, Yavarone, who went 3-for-5 and posted a career-high four RBI on the day, added two more insurance runs as Connecticut loaded that bases with two outs and he lined a base hit to shallow center to score two.
Redshirt-senior RHP Will Jolin (Guilford, Conn.) pitched one inning in the start for Connecticut and was tagged for four runs, three earned, on four hits and two walks. Senior RHP Dan Feehan (Nashua, N.H.) was credited with the win in 2.2 innings of relief. He improved his record to 2-3 on the season; allowing just one hit and striking out one.
Redshirt-sophomore LHP David Mahoney (Colchester, Conn.) entered for the eighth with a two-run lead and wound up with his second save of the season in two innings of work.
Senior righty Joseph Michaud (4-3) started and went 5.1 innings for the Bulldogs. He allowed seven runs on seven hits and three walks, while striking out three in the loss.
Connecticut hits the road this weekend for a BIG EAST series against No. 28 Notre Dame beginning at 5:30 Friday, April 26.
- Will Jolin made his first career start in his 50th career appearance.
- Stanley Paul made his debut in the lead-off spot.
- Billy Ferriter recorded his 15th multi-hit game of the season, while Yavarone posted his 13th.
- Ferriter's team-leading 10th double of the season was his first hit in nine bases loaded chances.
- Yavarone notched a career-high four RBI and the third three-hit game of his career.
- Dan Feehan made his 84th career appearance and is now three back of David Erickson (2005-09) for first all-time.
- Ryan Moore made his first appearance out of the bullpen in eights; last pitching at Villanova (Apr. 12).
- UConn posted double digit runs for the fifth time this season.
- The Huskies are 7-3 on the year against New England opponents.