May 1, 2013
STORRS, Conn. – Four pitchers combined for a four-hit shutout, an 8-0 win for the University of Connecticut baseball team, over Holy Cross at J.O. Christian Field on Wednesday afternoon. The Huskies lifted their record to 27-19, while the Crusaders, first place in the Patriot League, dropped to 25-23.
Redshirt-freshman RHP Max Slade (Cheshire, Conn.) set the tempo in his first career start, going in career-long four innings and allowing just one hit and one walk to pick up his first career win. Senior RHP Stephen Catalina (Wolcott, Conn.) was the first man up in the pen and came on to toss three scoreless innings. Fellow senior righties Pat Butler (Chatham, N.J.) and Will Jolin (Guilford, Conn.) contributed to the shutout with an inning apiece.
UConn got the offense going in the third inning, led by lead-off hitter and senior left fielder Stanley Paul (Stamford, Conn.) with a single to right and a stolen base. Redshirt-senior center fielder Billy Ferriter (Nashua, N.H.) singled to left to score Paul, bringing in the first run of the game.
After advancing to third on a fielding error off a base hit by senior second baseman LJ Mazzilli (Greenwich, Conn.), Ferriter scored on a fielder’s choice by freshman third baseman Vinny Siena (Woodbridge, Conn.).
The Huskies struck for two more runs in the fourth on a Ferriter double to left center, scoring sophomore catcher Connor David (Cheshire, Conn.)
, and a Mazzilli single up the middle to chase home Ferriter.
The runs continued to pour in four Connecticut as the Huskies put up four more in the fifth. The first run came in on a fielder’s choice hit into by freshman right fielder Jack Sundberg (Mansfield, Conn.) with the bases loaded. Paul then knocked in a run on a sacrifice-fly and Ferriter double to left center; driving in two.
For the game, Ferriter went 3-for-4 with a career-high four RBI and two runs scored. Mazzilli matched him at the plate with a 3-for-5 day as the two remained tied for second all-time with 270 career hits.
Junior righty Mike Ahmed (3-4) pitched three innings in the start for Holy Cross. He was pulled after a lead-off single by David went off his left leg in the fourth inning. Ahmed allowed three runs on five hits and four walks, while striking out a pair.
The Huskies return to action for a BIG EAST series at Rutgers beginning at 3:00 pm on Friday, May 3.
- UConn is 9-3 against New England opponents this season.
- The Huskies are 42-19-2 against Holy Cross all-time and 20-0-2 since 1984.
- Billy Ferriter posted a career-high four RBI.
- Ferriter and LJ Mazzilli remain tied for second all-time with 270 career hits.
- Max Slade made his first career start and his battery mate was his high school teammate Connor David.
- Holy Cross starter Mike Ahmed is the brother of former UConn shortstop Nick Ahmed (2009-11).
- The win was the fourth shutout of the season for the Huskies.
- Ryan Moore entered as a defensive substitution in the seventh inning and made his first trip to the plate since May 26, 2012 at the BIG EAST Championship.