May 24, 2014
CLEARWATER, Fla. - The UConn baseball team dropped its season finale to Temple, 9-4, on Saturday at Bright House Field. The contest concludes UConn's season, as the Huskies go 1-2 in American Athletic Conference Championship Pool B play.
Bobby Melley (Barnstable, Mass.) drove in two UConn runs to give the Huskies an early lead, but Temple scored six runs in the fourth inning to take a lead they wouldn't relent. Nico Darras (Laguna Beach, Calif.) and Ryan Sullivan (Hopkinton, Mass.) also had RBIs for the Huskies, and Tom Verdi (Warwick, R.I.) went 2-for-5 with one run scored and two steals. Blake Davey (Newport Beach, Calif.) scored twice for UConn in the setback.
Brian Ward (Milford, Conn.) started on the hill for UConn and went three innings, allowing four runs on nine hits with two walks and two strikeouts. He was opposed by Temple's Ryan Kuehn, who went five innings and gave up two runs, one earned, on three hits with a walk and two strikeouts.
The Huskies struck first, scoring twice in the first inning. Verdi reached on an error and stole second, before Davey was hit by a pitch. After a double steal moved both runners into scoring position, Melley cracked a two-run single to right center to give UConn a 2-0 lead.
Temple got both runs back in the top of the second with RBI hits from Reyn Sugai and Jimmy Kerrigan. Frank D'Agostino followed in the third with a solo home run, giving the Owls the lead at 3-2. After a leadoff single in the fourth chased Ward, Temple tacked on three more runs before D'Agostino's second home run of the day gave the Owls a 9-2 lead.
Darras got the Huskies a run back in the bottom of the seventh with an RBI single, cutting the lead to six. Sullivan pushed across another in the eighth with an RBI double, before Anthony Marzi (Berlin, Conn.) came out of the pen in the ninth for his final career appearance. Marzi fanned two in his first relief appearance since 2011, moving into sole possession of fourth in UConn history.
The Huskies finish 2014 with a 27-31 record, and went 9-14 in their first season of conference play in The American.
- UConn is now 21-13 in conference tournament play under Jim Penders.
- Tom Verdi stole his 11th and 12th bases of 2014 to give him 46 in his career, tied for 14th in program history
- Brian Ward finished his career with 229.0 innings pitched, ninth in UConn history
- David Mahoney made his 27th appearance of the year, fourth in a single season in UConn history. Mahoney, who set the program record with 34 appearances last year, now has two of the four highest single season marks in UConn history
- Anthony Marzi made his first relief appearance since coming out of the pen seven times in 2011. He made 47 starts from 2012-14 between relief appearances.
- Marzi picked up his 217th career strikeout, taking sole possession of fourth in UConn history. He also finishes second all-time in innings pitched with 299.1
UCONN OFFICIAL STORE
UCONN OFFICIAL AUCTIONS