Skip to main content Skip to footer
Huskies Fall to No. 14 Georgetown, 58-44

Andre Drummond led UConn with 18 points on the night.

Feb. 1, 2012

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

WASHINGTON (AP) - Georgetown's Hollis Thompson regained his shooting touch with 18 points as the No. 14 Georgetown men's basketball team held Connecticut to season lows in scoring and shooting in a 58-44 victory Wednesday night, the Huskies' fourth straight loss.

Thompson went seven for 15 from the field and grabbed nine rebounds. The BIG EAST's top three-point shooter went three for seven behind the arc, matching the number of threes from his last three games combined.

The Hoyas (17-4, 7-3), bouncing back from a subpar effort in a loss at Pittsburgh, led by 10 points at halftime and didn't allow the Huskies to get closer than six the rest of the way. Henry Sims had 13 points for Georgetown and Jason Clark added 11.

A layup and jumper by Clark and an emphatic driving dunk from Sims restored Georgetown's momentum - and its double-digit lead - after UConn threatened to rally.

Freshman Andre Drummond (Middletown, Conn.) scored 18 points, and sophomore Jeremy Lamb (Norcross, Ga.) had 14 for the Huskies (14-7, 4-5), who shot 30 percent from the field in their first game since falling out of the top 25.

UConn coach Jim Calhoun shook up his lineup after scoring only 48 points against Notre Dame on Sunday, starting freshman Ryan Boatright (Aurora, Ill.) and sophomore Roscoe Smith (Baltimore, Md.) in place of sophomore Shabazz Napier (Roxbury, Mass.) and junior Alex Oriakhi (Lowell, Mass.). Calhoun was hoping for more quickness and speed, but the Huskies didn't score a fast-break basket in the first half and had only four for the game.

Boatright didn't score, and Smith had only two points. Napier, who went 0 for 7 from the field against Notre Dame, missed all nine of his shots. Oriakhi came on to commit three of UConn's six first-half turnovers.

Even Lamb had a tough game, shooting one for 9 at in the first half and four for 18 for the game.

The lone spark for the Huskies was Drummond, a freshman who was unstoppable for the first four minutes. He dominated the paint for eight quick points to give UConn a 13-7 lead.

Then the Huskies went cold, missing 13 straight shots and 17 of 18. Georgetown took advantage, albeit slowly, meandering its way through a 24-8 run that really didn't get going until the final minutes of the half. A layup and a 3-pointer from Thompson, and a jumper and a layup from Sims helped put the Hoyas up 31-21 at halftime.

Thompson's 3-pointer gave Georgetown a 13-point lead early in the second half, and only then did UConn start to show signs of an organized offense. Dunks by Drummond and Lamb and a layup by Drummond off an alley-oop pass cut the lead to eight.

DeAndre Daniels' driving layup made it 45-39 with 7:43 to play, but Georgetown responded with a 10-2 run led by Clark and Sims.

UConn returns to action on Saturday when its plays host to Seton Hall at 12:00 p.m. at the XL Center in Hartford. That game will be televised on SNY and heard on the WTIC-UConn Radio Network.