Feb. 27, 2013
Connecticut Huskies (19-8) (9-6 Big East) vs. #7/8 Georgetown Hoyas (22-4) (12-3 Big East)
NCAA Division I Men's Basketball
Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM on ESPN2
Gampel Pavilion- Storrs, CT
- In their 244th game on ESPN/ESPN2 since the start of the 1986-87 season (the first season of the Jim Calhoun era), the Huskies fell to an overall record of 151-93 in those games. UConn also fell to 5-5 on ESPN/ESPN2 this season.
- The Huskies fell to an overall record of 148-23 at Gampel Pavilion since the building opened in 1990...tonight was their 19th loss against a Big East opponent at Gampel.
- UConn is now an even 3-3 against ranked opponents on the season with wins coming over Michigan State, Notre Dame, and Syracuse.
- Tonight's victory gives the Hoyas a season-long ten-game win streak.
- The game with Connecticut tonight marked the 64th all-time meeting between the teams with the Hoyas improving their lead in the head-to-head series to 35-29.
- Georgetown has won five of the last seven meetings, with the team's last road win, prior to tonight, dating to 2008-09 season at the XL Center in Hartford.
- Prior to tonight's contest, Georgetown held an all-time record of 0-3 at Gampel Pavilion; tonight marked the team's first victory on UConn's campus.
- The Hoyas improved to an all-time record of 336-217 in Big East Conference play and a record of 137-142 on the road against conference opponents.
- Georgetown did not hit a shot from the field for over 11 minutes in the first half (in between 12:02 and 0:54.3).
- Halftime Score: UConn 22- Georgetown 19
- The Hoyas' 19 first half points was the team's third lowest total in a half this season and the third time Georgetown failed to score 20 points in a half (the other two times came against Tennessee and Towson).
- Despite shooting 1 three-point field goal in the first half, Georgetown finished the game with 11 three-pointers going 11 for 20 on the night. Connecticut made 11 three-pointers in the contest.
- UConn went on a 9-0 run at the end of the first half to bring the score within 3 points.
- Connecticut's DeAndre Daniels led all players with 25 points on the night (one shy of his career high), while Otto Porter Jr. led the Hoyas with 22 on the night
- Daniels was one shy of a season-high in blocks with 3, as his total tied the entire Georgetown team.
- Despite the loss, UConn won the battle in the paint with 32 points compared to Georgetown's 26. The Huskies also outrebounded the Hoyas 38-28.
- Omar Calhoun's 3-pointer with 2.2 second left tied the game at 62 which would lead to UConn's sixth overtime this season. A steal by Niels Giffey with 1 second left on the clock solidified the overtime period.
- Connecticut fell to 4-2 in overtimes this season, while Georgetown is now 1-1 on the season. The Hoyas' sole loss in overtime came to Indiana during the fourth game of the season.
- The Huskies are now 1-1 in double overtime contests this season (with their sole win coming against Quinnipiac). Tonight was Georgetown's first game of the 2012-13 season that went into double overtime, which brings their record to 1-0.
- Final Score: UConn 78- Georgetown 79 (2OT)