Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Falls to No. 7 Georgetown in Double OT

DeAndre Daniels played 49 minutes in the double overtime game.

Feb. 27, 2013

Box Score |  Quotes |  Notes |  Photo Gallery 1  |  Photo Gallery 2  |  Photo Gallery 3 

Live Chat Archive

STORRS, Conn. - Georgetown's Otto Porter, Jr., hi a layup with 9.5 seconds remaining in the second overtime gave to give the No. 7 Hoyas a 79-78 victory over Connecticut on Wednesday night in a classic BIG EAST Conference game. The game was played before a frenzied soldout crowd of 10,167 at Gampel Pavilion. The Huskies are now 19-8 on the season and 9-6 in the BIG EAST while the Hoyas are 22-4 and 12-3.

Porter scored 21 of his 22 points after halftime in a wild game that saw Georgetown stay in first place in the conference. The Hoyas had a 12-point lead with 4:36 to go in regulation. In the final 2:03 of the second overtime Georgetown overcame a seven-point deficit.

Markel Starks had 19 points for Georgetown, while D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera added 14.

Husky sophomore center DeAndre Daniels (Los Angeles, Calif.) had 25 points, one off his career high, and 10 rebounds for the Huskies. Junior guard Shabazz Napier (Roxbury, Mass.) added 16 and freshman Omar Calhoun (Queens, N.Y) had 13. Napier had six assists and sophomore backcourt mate Ryan Boatright (Aurora, Ill.) had eight.

Line Score1st2ndOT2OTTOT


UConn StatsFG3FGFT
1st Half:9-261-53-4
2nd Half:15-307-183-4

Porter made two free throws with 4:36 to let Georgetown match its largest lead of the game, 60-48. Despite the double-digit deficit, the Huskies weren't about to let the sellout crowd leave in the rain without a run at the Hoyas.

Calhoun hit a three-pointer to start a 9-0 spurt that was capped by two free throws from Daniels with 2:30 left that made it 60-57. Georgetown came up empty three times on its next possession but Smith-Rivera stole the ball at midcourt and went in for a layup that gave the Hoyas a 62-57 lead with 1:08 left.

Calhoun scored on a rebound and, after Starks missed the front end of a one-and-one with 8.7 seconds left, Calhoun nailed a three-pointer from the left corner. With the crowd going wild, UConn junior forward Niles Giffey (Berlin, Germany) sprinted across the court and stole the inbounds pass just past the three-point line. He lined up and got a good look but the ball bounced off the rim.

If it had gone in there was no telling how the crowd would have reacted.

Giffey made one free throw with 2:03 left in the second overtime to make it 78-71. There was a sigh of relief as the fans, and the Huskies, seemed to think it was over -- but nobody told the Hoyas.

Porter and Smith-Rivera hit threes to make it a one-point game with 50 seconds left. After a turnover, Porter scored with 9.5 seconds left. The Huskies had one last chance but Boatright's shot from in front of the UConn bench bounced off the rim,

It was Connecticut's sixth overtime game of the season - the Huskies are 4-2.

UConn returns to action on Saturday when it travels to Cincinnati for a 2 p.m. game that will be seen on ESPNU and heard on the UConn IMG Sports Radio Network.