March 16, 2012
2012 NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship
Second Round Game Notes
Game #4 Connecticut
Team Game Notes
- The Huskies finished the season at 20-14 and were making their 31st NCAA Tournament appearance
- Connecticut fell to 15-6 in BIG EAST venues during the NCAA Tournament and had won four straight prior to tonight's loss. Previously, UConn won its first two games in 2011 in the Verizon Center (Georgetown) and won their first two games in 2009 in the Wachovia Center (Villanova).
- Tonight also marked UConn's third straight NCAA Tournament appearance in which their first game took place in a BIG EAST venue.
- Connecticut dropped to 16-2 in their opening games since 1990.
- After falling behind 38-16, the Huskies exploded on a 12-0 run to cut the deficit to 10 at 38-28.
- Tonight marked Connecticut's first ever meeting with Iowa State.
- The Huskies fell to 34-4 against teams seeded No. 6 or lower during Calhoun's tenure at UConn.
- Connecticut's loss snapped its streak of two (2009, 2011) Final Fours in years the Huskies make the NCAA Tournament (the Huskies played in the NIT in 2010).
- The Huskies scored 11 of their points off of turnovers.
- Connecticut posted a season-low with four turnovers. It was also their ninth game with fewer than 10 turnovers.
Individual Game Notes
Head Coach Jim Calhoun
- Made his 22nd NCAA Tournament appearance which is tied for eighth all-time.
- In addition, tonight marked Calhoun's 68th NCAA Tournament game.
#3 Jeremy Lamb
- His 19 points extended streak of scoring 10 or more points to 11 straight games.
- After only scoring eight points in the first half, Lamb erupted for 11 in the second half.
#12 Andre Drummond
- Recorded four of the Huskies' five blocked shots.
- Posted 12th game with at least four blocked shots.
#13 Shabazz Napier
- Dished out six assists in the first half - one fewer than Iowa State had as a team.
- Reached double digits in scoring for the 18th time this season and 32nd time for his career.
- Scored game-high 22 points - his 11th game this season with over 20 points.
- Finished with at least six assists in 18 games.
UCONN OFFICIAL STORE
UCONN OFFICIAL AUCTIONS