Skip to main content Skip to footer
No. 10 UConn Takes Down Washington, 82-70

Ryan Boatright had 16 points and five rebounds in Sunday's win over Washington.

Dec. 22, 2013

Box Score

SEATTLE - Senior guard Shabazz Napier (Roxbury, Mass.) scored 15 of his 20 points in the second half and grabbed six rebounds to lead No. 10 Connecticut to an 82-70 victory over Washington on Sunday before a crowd of 7,059 at Alaska Airlines Arena. UConn, which lost their first game of the season last Wednesday to Stanford, improve to 10-1 on the season while Washington is 6-5.

Junior guard Ryan Boatright (Aurora, Ill.) had 16 points and five rebounds and graduate student forward Lasan Kromah  (Greenbelt. Md.) scored 14 points for Connecticut, which fell into a double-digit hole early in its first true road game of the season but controlled the game in the second half.

C.J. Wilcox led Washington with 19 points on 6-of-15 shooting and had four assists and four fouls. Darin Johnson had 13 points for Washington and Mike Anderson, who is from Hartford, added 10 points.

In the Stanford game, UConn was five of 31 from the field and 0 for 12 on three-pointers in the second half. The early going against Washington wasn't much better as Connecticut missed its first six shots from behind the arc as UW built a double-digit lead.

Wilcox hit two straight 3-pointers to give UW a 31-17 lead with seven minutes to go in the first half, but those shots seemed to wake up the visiting Huskies.

UConn answered with a 15-2 run, including a stretch of 10 straight points. Connecticut took the lead for the first time since the opening minutes when junior forward DeAndre Daniel's (Los Angeles, Calif.) layup made it 39-37 with 1:46 left in the first half and UConn led 43-39 at halftime.

UConn scored the first six points of the second half to push the lead to 10 points, and then used a nine-point run to pull away to 62-48 with 11 minutes to play. Washington wasn't able to make a run to get back into the game.

Connecticut's long-range shooting improved after the poor start, as UConn finished four of 12 behind the arc and 28 of 51 (54.9 percent) overall from the field.

UConn changed its starters after going with the same lineup for the first 10 games of the season. Freshman center Amida Brimah (Accra, Ghana) started at center and dunked on the game's first possession and had four points and three rebounds.

One of the largest cheers from the home crowd came six-and-a-half minutes into the game, when junior forward Desmond Simmons checked in. It was Simmons' first appearance since having arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Nov. 7. Simmons hit the first three-pointer of the game to put UW up 17-10 but got into foul trouble and finished with five points.

UConn returns to the court Saturday when they face Eastern Washington at the Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport, Conn. Tipoff is set for 1 p.m. and the game can be seen on SNY and heard on the UConn IMG Radio Network.