TICKETS | FOX Sports GO | LIVE STATS
STORRS, Conn. – The UConn and Providence men’s basketball teams, longtime New England and Big East Conference rivals, will play an exhibition game on Wednesday, Oct. 25 at Mohegan Sun Arena at 7 p.m. (ET) to benefit the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund.
The NCAA granted a waiver to schools, allowing an extra exhibition to be added to their schedules provided the proceeds are donated to hurricane relief. UConn will still play its scheduled exhibition games on Monday, Oct. 30 against Merrimack (XL Center) and on Sunday, Nov. 5 against Queens College (Gampel Pavilion).
Wednesday night’s contest will be aired on FOX Sports GO and broadcast on the UConn/IMG Radio Network, with Joe D’Ambrosio and Wayne Norman on the call. Tickets can be purchased through TicketMaster or the Mohegan Sun Ticket Office.
UConn and Providence have played 72 times in a series that dates back to 1928, with the Huskies holding a 44-28 edge. They last met on March 9, 2013, a 63-59 overtime win for UConn at Gampel Pavilion.
Many new faces join UConn this season under sixth-year head coach Kevin Ollie, with no scholarship seniors featured on the roster. Junior Jalen Adams, an All-American Athletic Conference First Team selection last season, returns as the team’s leading scorer (14.4 points/game).
Sophomore Christian Vital is back for the Huskies after a strong freshman campaign, while redshirt junior Terry Larrier and redshirt freshman Alterique Gilbert return from season-long injuries to join Adams and form UConn’s core four.
Eight players join Ollie’s squad for 2017-18, including transfer graduate students Antwoine Anderson from Fordham and David Onuorah from Cornell. Four true freshmen – Isaiah Whaley, Tyler Polley, Josh Carlton and Sidney Wilson – look to add depth to the roster.
In the 2016-17 season, the Huskies finished with a 16-17 (9-9 American) record and advanced to the AAC semifinals at the XL Center in Hartford, Conn. Three seniors on the team – Rodney Purvis, Amida Brimah and Kentan Facey – graduated this past spring.
- Jalen Adams led UConn in points (14.4), assists (6.1) and steals (1.1) per game, as well as free throw percentage (.828). He led the American Athletic Conference and ranked 14th nationally in assists per game.
- Christian Vital was second on the team in three-point percentage (.366) as a freshman, while averaging 9.1 points and 3.5 rebounds in 31 games.
- Terry Larrier (13.5) and Alterique Gilbert (10.3) were both scoring in double-figures before their season-ending injuries last November.
- A lot of playing time is on the table, as UConn lost players that accounted for 66-percent of game minutes last season. The Huskies also surrender 62-percent of their points and 66 percent of rebounds.
- Tough schedule ahead for the Huskies, as UConn plays four opponents this season ranked in the top-15 of the USA Today Coaches Preseason Poll (No. 5 Arizona, No. 6 Villanova, No. 8 Wichita State and No. 13 Cincinnati).