Date: August 29, 2014
Result: L, 35-10
· Friday’s night contest was the first between UConn and BYU. The Huskies will play at BYU on Oct. 2, 2015.
· The contest marked the debut for UConn Head Coach Bob Diaco.
· Joshua Marriner scored his first career touchdown with a one-yard score in the second quarter. Marriner finished the day with nine carries for 27 yards in his first collegiate appearance.
· Geremy Davis now has at least one catch in 27 straight games. That streak is tied for longest in the nation. Davis finished the game with seven receptions for 96 yards.
· Arkeel Newsome made his first collegiate catch, an 18-yard gain in the first quarter. He also carried three times for 10 yards.
· Justin Wain recorded his first career punt in the first quarter. Overall on the day, Wain punted four times, averaging 35.8 yards per punt.
· Ron Johnson carried for six yards midway through the second quarter, his first career rush. Johnson finished with three carries for nine yards.
· Cameron Stapleton was credited with a half sack in the second quarter, his first career sack.
· Tommy Myers recorded his first career catch in the third quarter.
· Alec Bloom also made his first career reception in the fourth quarter. Bloom finished with two catches for 24 yards.
· Bobby Puyol connected on a 35-yard field goal in the fourth quarter. It was the first field goal for Puyol, who redshirted last season, since Dec. 1, 2012.UConn is now 48-25 all-time at Rentschler Field and 26-12 in non-conference games there.