Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Comes Up Short Against Visiting Iowa State, 24-20

Dave Teggart nailed a 50-yard field goal and a 52 yarder on Friday night.

Sept. 16, 2011

Final Stats |  Quotes |  Notes |  Photo Gallery  |  AP Photo Gallery 

Husky Football Feature

EAST HARTFORD, Conn. -The University of Connecticut football team outgained Iowa State 343-341 for the game, but a fourth quarter score for the Cyclones spelled a 24-20 loss for the Huskies in front of 37,195 at Rentschler Field on Friday night.

The loss drops UConn to 1-2 on the season and ended a 10-game home winning streak, while ISU stays perfect at 3-0. Connecticut redshirt senior wide receiver Isiah Moore(Cambridge, Mass.) recorded career-highs in receptions and yards with eight catches and 143 yards.

The winning score for Iowa State came with 9:08 left in the game when freshman Ja'Quarius Daniels leaped over a pair of UConn defenders and raced across the goal line for a 20-yard touchdown reception from junior quarterback Steele Jantz. Jantz recovered from throwing three interceptions in the first quarter to finish the game with 200 yards on 18-29 passing.

The Huskies used a trio of quarterbacks with redshirt junior Johnny McEntee (Fullerton, Calif.) taking the majority of snaps as he went 13-30 for a season-high 188 yards. Redshirt freshman Lyle McCombs(Staten Island, N.Y.) led the UConn running game with 46 yards on 18 rushes. Sophomore Shontrelle Johnson and redshirt sophomore James White split the carries for ISU with 14 apiece. Johnson went for 65 yards, while White ran for 44.

Connecticut opened the game with a 10-play, 57-yard drive that resulted in a touchdown for redshirt freshman quarterback Scott McCummings(Natick, Mass.). McCummings, in the game for just his second play, was initially ruled down at the one-yard line, but after an official review it was determined that the ball crossed the goal line prior to his knee hitting the ground. For the game, McCummings rushed for 38 yards on 10 carries.

The two teams would trade turnovers several times in the remaining minutes of the first quarter as redshirt junior Dwayne Gratz(Piscataway, N.J.) picked off Jantz on the Cyclone's first play from scrimmage. Gratz returned the ball 19 yards to the ISU 41-yard line, but UConn gave the ball back on the very next play as McEntee was intercepted by senior defensive lineman Steve Ruempolhamer.

Jantz was intercepted again, with less than three minutes to play in the first, by redshirt freshman Byron Jones (New Britain, Conn.), which set up a 52-yard field goal by redshirt senior kicker Dave Teggart (Northborough, Mass.) to put the Huskies up 10-0. For Teggart, it tied his career long, originally set on the game-winning play in last season's 19-16 decision over South Florida. Teggart also missed a pair of field goals in the first, from 41 and 43 yards, respectively, the first of which ended a streak of 12-straight conversions. Before the end of the first, UConn would force a third turnover as redshirt junior Jory Johnson (Mobile, Ala.) grabbed a ball off a pass broken up by redshirt junior linebacker Sio Moore(Apex, N.C.).

Despite outgaining Iowa State 101-4 in the first, Connecticut went into halftime up only 10-7 as the Cyclones held a 114-13 advantage in the second quarter. ISU got on the board when James White broke loose for a 26-yard touchdown run to cut the Huskies lead to three.

The Cyclones went on top early in the third quarter when White flipped the ball to junior wide receiver Josh Lenz on a reverse, who lofted a deep ball to the left side for redshirt senior Darius Reynolds to take into the end zone. UConn came back with a 50-yard field goal from Teggart, marking the second time in his career he converted on two field goals of 50 yards or more in the same game. With 6:44 left to play in the quarter, Iowa State added to its lead with a 36-yard field goal by senior kicker Zach Guyer, to go up 17-13.

Connecticut regained the lead early in the fourth quarter as McCummings hooked up with redshirt senior wide receiver Kashif Moore(Burlington, N.J.) for a 39-yard touchdown to take a 20-17 lead. Moore skied above his defender for the ball and came down at the 22-yard line and took it in for the go-ahead score. McCummings has completed two passes on the season, both for touchdowns.

On the defensive side of the ball, junior linebacker Jake Knott made 11 tackles and forced one fumble for the Cylcones, while Johnson added 10 tackles to go with his interception for the Huskies.

UConn returns to action on the road next Saturday to take on Buffalo at 6:00 pm. The game will be televised live on SNY and on the WTIC-UConn Radio Network.