UCF 24, UConn 16 Postgame Notes
Oct. 22, 2016
- UConn kicker Bobby Puyol connected on a 22-yard field goal on its first possession of the game. It marks the second-straight week UConn has opened a game with a field goal drive. The two field goals are UConn's only first quarter points of the season. Puyol followed it up with a 33-yard field goal with 3:29 left to go in the first quarter. The six points were the most UConn scored in any first quarter this year.
- UConn led 6-0 after the first quarter. It was the first game this season that UConn led after a quarter.
- Arkeel Newsome's three-yard TD run with 9:41 left in the second quarter gave UConn a 13-0 lead. That lead was the largest of any lead by UConn this season.
- Puyol kicked a 35-yard field goal with 1:25 left in the second quarter to give UConn a 16-7 lead. Despite UCF scoring a late first-half touchdown, the Huskies led 16-14 at halftime – UConn's first halftime lead of the season.
- UConn's Noel Thomas has nine receptions for 165 yards. He is now tied for seventh on the all-time UConn career list for receptions with 159 and eighth with 1,979 receiving yards. Thomas has had 100-yard receiving games in five-straight games, six this season and seven in his career.
- UConn's Arkeel Newsome rushed for 101 yards on 21 carries for his second 100-yard game of the season and fourth of his career.
- Puyol now has 38 career field goals, which places him third in school career history behind Dave Teggart (2008-11) with 67 and Matt Nuzie (2003-06) with 45.
- UCF QB McKenzie Milton set career highs in passing yards (317) and touchdown passes (3)….First UCF quarterback to throw for over 300 yards since Justin Holman had 336 against Temple on Oct. 25, 2014…Went 11-for-13 in the third quarter for 115 yards and a touchdown….Completed a pass to 10 different receivers, including one to himself on a pass batted back into his arms.
- WR Dredrick Snelson caught his first career touchdown on a 22-yard pass from Milton midway through the second quarter.
- UWR Taylor Oldham had four catches for a career-high 72 receiving yards…Caught a career-long reception for 40 yards late in the first quarter.
- LB Shaquem Griffin led the Knights with a career-high 10 tackles.
UCONN OFFICIAL STORE
UCONN OFFICIAL AUCTIONS