Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Drops Close Game To Army, 35-21

Nov. 08, 2014

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 1  |  Photo Gallery 2  |  Photo Gallery 3  |  Photo Gallery 4 

NEW YORK (AP) - With Army clinging to a 28-21 lead, Black Knight Chris Carnegie returned his second interception of the day 99 yards up the left sideline for a touchdown to lift his team to a 35-21 win over UConn before a crowd of 27,453 at Yankee Stadium. The Huskies fall to 2-7 on the season while Army is 3-6.

UConn pulled to within 28-21 with 2:06 to go, recovered the onside kick, and marched all the way to the six-yard line before Carnegie picked off a pass of senior quarterback Chandler Whitmer (Newnan, Ga.) at the one and ran it all the way back to clinch it.

Whitmer had two touchdowns on 19-of-31 passing for 171 yards and added another score on the ground for the Huskies. Army quarterback Angel Santiago ran for 97 yards and two touchdowns on 25 carries to lead a balanced rushing attack. The Black Knights never trailed but almost faced overtime before Carnegie's clutch pick-six.

Joe Walker added two touchdowns on the ground for the Black Knights, who racked up 327 rushing yards to break a three-game losing streak.

Whitmer didn't get hot until late. Facing fourth-and-six with 12:54 left in the game, UConn stayed alive when Whitmer found redshirt junior tight end Sean McQuillan (Glastonbury, Conn.) over the middle for a 16-yard touchdown to pull to within 21-14.

Army responded on third-and-goal with 4:22 remaining, when Santiago barely broke the goal line to go up 28-14. UConn cut it to 28-21 with 2:06 left on Whitmer's one-yard completion to sophomore Noel Thomas (Norwalk, Conn.).

Freshman Jamar Summers (East Orange, N.J.) recovered the onside kick for UConn when Army's A.J. Schurr couldn't secure it. Whitmer then broke loose for 26 yards on the opening play of the drive and picked up another first down two plays later with 1:20 to go.

The nation's No. 5 rushing offense, Army's crafty triple option had no trouble against UConn's 27th-best rushing defense. Some timely conversions and lengthy drives were a potent mix for Army, which pushed ahead by two touchdowns on the opening drive of the second half. Following its second fourth-down conversion from inside the six-yard line, Army went up 21-7 midway through the third on a pitch to Walker, who turned the corner for a two-yard touchdown.

A week after converting just one of 12 third downs in a 23-6 loss to Air Force, Army kept its opening drive alive with a key 35-yard run off a pitch left by Terry Baggett on third down. The Black Knights converted six of their first seven third downs. Facing fourth-and-two from the six, placeholder Schurr picked up a fake field goal and scurried right to keep the drive going. Santiago broke through on a keeper two plays later to cap Army's longest drive of the year, 89 yards on 16 plays, and the Black Knights were up 7-0.

Army's offense got right back to it after Carnegie intercepted a tipped pass from Whitmer. The Black Knights then ripped off another 85-yard drive - keyed by a third-and-two pitch to Trenton Turrentine on the edge - and went ahead 14-0 after Walker ran in from four yards out.

The Black Knights were back in UConn territory with 2:04 left in the first half when Santiago fumbled on a scramble. Redshirt freshman Junior Joseph (Sinking Spring, Pa.) recovered, giving the Huskies a crucial chance to get on the board before halftime. The Huskies didn't waste the opportunity as Whitmer, back under center, found Thomas for a 26-yard pass to Army's 32 before redshirt junior Max DeLorenzo (Berlin, Conn.), untouched through the middle, broke off a 26-yard run on his first carry.

That brought UConn to the six and set up Whitmer's two-yard sneak with 47 seconds to go in the half and cut Army's lead to 14-7.

The Huskies head into their third and final open week of the season and return to action on Saturday, Nov. 22 at Rentschler Field. Game time and television plans will be announced on Monday.