Assistant Coaches Photo Gallery
STORRS, Conn. (January 6, 2014) - University of Connecticut head football coach Bob Diaco has hired eight new assistant coaches and retained one from the previous staff as announced on Monday (Jan. 6). The staff will be:
|Name (Alma Mater)
|Bob Diaco (Iowa '95)
|Don Patterson (Army '73)
||Associate Head Coach/Quarterbacks
|Mike Cummings (Buffalo '84)
||Offensive Coordinator/Tight Ends
|Anthony Poindexter (Virginia '99)
|Wayne Lineburg (Virginia '96)
||Special Teams Coordinator/Wide Receivers
|Vincent Brown (Mississippi Valley State '88)
|Kevin Wolthausen (Humboldt State '81)
||Recruiting Coordinator/Defensive Line
|Mike Foley (Colgate '78)
|Ernest T. Jones (Alcorn State '95)
||Running Backs/Player Engagement
|Josh Reardon (Central Michigan '06)
||Co-Special Teams Coordinator/Cornerbacks
Don Patterson comes to Storrs after spending the last three seasons as the quarterbacks coach and recuiting coordinator at Buffalo. Will also coach quarterbacks at UConn in addition to Associate Head Coach responsibilities.
- Spent 18 years on legendary coach Hayden Fry's staff at Iowa, working with the Hawkeyes from 1979-98 including six seasons as the offensive coordinator
- Was the head coach at Western Illinois from 1999-2009
- Coached in 14 postseason games at Iowa, including three Rose Bowls
Mike Cummings takes over as the UConn Offensive Coordinator after holding the same title at Central Michigan for the past four seasons. He will also have position responsibility with tight ends.
- Was the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach at Central Michigan from 2010-13, his third stint at CMU
- Also made stops at RPI, Millersville, Michigan State, Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan and Marshall
- Coached Eric Fisher at Central Michigan, the first player from CMU and the MAC to be selected first overall in the NFL draft
Anthony Poindexter will be the Defensive Coordinator at UConn after spending the last 10 years in various roles on the coaching staff at Virginia, where he was an All-American safety in 1997 and 1998.
- Spent 10 years at Virginia, including the last five on the defensive side of the ball, most recently working with safeties for the past three years
- Is ninth in UVA history in tackles (342) and fifth all-time with 12 interceptions
- Was drafted by Baltimore in the 1999 NFL Draft and helped the Ravens win Super Bowl XXXV
Wayne Lineburg joins UConn as its Special Teams Coordinator and wide receivers coach. He spent the last four years in various roles on the staff at Richmond, including a year as Interim Head Coach.
- Was Associate Head Coach and Recruiting Coordinator at Richmond from 2012-13 after serving as offensive coordinator from 2010-11 and Interim Head Coach in 2011
- Coached on the offensive side of the ball from 2007-09 at Virginia, his second coaching stop at UVA after playing quarterback there from 1992-95
- Has 18 years of coaching experience, and has coached or played in 11 postseason games
Vincent Brown will coach the UConn linebackers and serve as the Co-Defensive Coordinator after four years as a defensive position coach at Virginia. Brown played eight seasons in the NFL for the New England Patriots and was a three-time All-Pro.
- Coached the defensive line at Virginia in 2013 after spending 2010-12 with the linebackers and special teams
- Also made coaching stops at Richmond, the Dallas Cowboys and Meadowcreek High School (Ga.)
- Was an All-American linebacker at Mississippi Valley State in 1987 before being drafted in the second round of the 1988 NFL Draft
- Recorded 811 tackles, 16.5 sacks and 10 interceptions in 123 games in New England, earning NFL All-Pro honors in 1991, 1992 and 1993
Kevin Wolthausen comes to UConn to serve as the recruiting coordinator and defensive line coach. A 34-year coaching veteran, Wolthausen spent 2013 as the special teams coach at Florida International.
- Has made 14 career stops in 34 seasons, including Arizona, USC, Oklahoma, Louisville and the Atlanta Falcons
- Coached in 18 bowl games, including four Rose Bowls and an Orange Bowl
- Mentored future NFL defensive linemen Elvis Dumervil and Amobi Okoye to All-America seasons during his time at Louisville
Mike Foley is the lone holdover on the UConn staff from the 2013 season, and will continue working with the offensive line.
- Has coached at UConn since 2006, coaching the offensive line from 2006-11 and the final eight games of 2013 and working with tight ends in 2012 and 2013
- Prior to UConn, spent 21 years at his alma mater, Colgate, where he was the head coach from 1988-92 and offensive coordinator from 1997-2005
- Has helped the UConn offensive line block for five 1,000 yard rushers, including the NCAA's leading rusher in Donald Brown in 2008
Ernest T. Jones will join Diaco in moving from Notre Dame to UConn after spending 2012-13 as the Director of Player Development and Engagement for the Fighting Irish. He will coach running backs and be tasked with player engagement at UConn.
- Coached at nine schools since 2000, including Central Michigan, Cincinnati, Buffalo and Notre Dame
- Was the Head Coach at his alma mater, Alcorn State, in 2008
- Coached in a pair of BCS bowls, including the Sugar Bowl in the 2009 season and the 2013 BCS National Championship
Josh Reardon rounds out Diaco's staff, also coming to Storrs via Notre Dame. Reardon was a graduate assistant with the Irish the past two seasons after spending four years as a defensive position coach at the FCS level. He will coach cornerbacks and serve as the Co-Special Teams Coordinator at Connecticut.
- Played linebacker at Central Michigan from 2001-04 before working there as a graduate assistant in 2006-07, helping CMU win the MAC Championship and Motor City Bowl in 2006
- Spent three years at Sacred Heart, including one as defensive coordinator
- Helped Notre Dame to bowl games in both of his seasons there, including the 2013 BCS National Championship