Sept. 13, 2011
EAST HARTFORD, Conn. - Friday night’s football game between UConn and Iowa State at Rentschler Field will be full of special events and excitement for all fans. Kickoff is at 8:05 p.m. The game will feature a “Blue Out” where all fans are encouraged to wear blue and show the pride that UConn fans have before a national television audience on ESPN2.
Also on Friday night, the two-millionth fan in the history of Rentschler Field will walk through the stadium gates. Fans are encouraged to enter the stadium early as No. 2,000,000 is likely to come through the gates shortly after they open at 6:30 p.m. The stadium opened for the 2003 season and the Iowa State game will be the 53rd in its history.
When the two-millionth fan enters Rentschler Field they will receive a special greeting, will be on the field for kickoff and will be given a special pregame stadium tour. That special fan will also be given four chairback season tickets and a priority parking pass for the 2012 season and an autographed ball from head coach Paul Pasqualoni.
Other special events planned for the evening include:
• A special halftime recognition of Dr. Susan Herbst, who will be inaugurated at UConn’s 15th president on Friday afternoon in Storrs.
• An autograph session with the NCAA champion UConn men’s basketball team from 6:30 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. at FanFest – outside of Gate B.
• An on-field recognition of the men’s basketball team at the game.
• Friday night will also be Green Awareness Night at Rentschler Field. The annual event is part of the “Husky Honor” program that promotes sportsmanship as well as sustainability and environmental responsibility at UConn athletic events. UConn was recently ranked No. 16 in the country in the Sierra Club’s annual ranking of the nation’s “greenest” universities. EcoHusky student volunteers will be on site Friday night to help fans recycle bottles and cans and to raise awareness about what the University and Rentschler Field are doing to reduce waste and minimize the carbon footprint at a UConn game.
• 2011 UConn Football Posters will be given away at FanFest from 4:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
• Fans are encouraged to show up in huge numbers and greet the team as they arrive at the stadium for the “Husky Walk”. The tradition will take place this Friday between Gates C and D at approximately 5:35 p.m.
UCONN OFFICIAL STORE
UCONN OFFICIAL AUCTIONS