Skip to main content Skip to footer
Huskies Win Third Straight With 3-2 Victory at Robert Morris

Sean Ambrosie has eight points in the last five games.

Jan. 11, 2013

Box Score

MOON TOWNSHIP, Pa. - The University of Connecticut men's hockey team continued its winning ways with a 3-2 victory at Robert Morris on Friday night in Moon Township, Pa. Senior captain Sean Ambrosie notched the game-winning goal on the power play and Matt Grogan stopped 30 shots for his third win of the year.

UConn improved to 8-8-2 (5-6-1 AHA) while Robert Morris dropped to 10-6-1 (5-5-1 AHA). Friday's win was the first in the career of Interim Head Coach David Berard. Berard was appointed the position on January 7 after former Head Coach Bruce Marshall announced his resignation following a two month personal medial leave of absence.

The Huskies are 8-4-1 in the 13 games that Berard has led the program. UConn has won four of the last five games.

Ambrosie extended his point streak to five games and now has three straight multi-point efforts. He leads the Huskies with six goals, 10 assists and 16 points and ranks No. 6 all-time at UConn with 89 points.

Connecticut tallied a goal in each period and took a 2-0 lead into the third. Grogan came up with 12 stops in the third period to lead UConn to its first victory over Robert Morris in for tries all-time. The Colonials joined the AHA at the start of the 2010-11 season.

Sophomore Trevor Gerling gave UConn the lead 3:49 into the first period with his sixth goal of the year. Shawn Pauly sent a pass from the bottom of the left face-off circle towards the top of the crease. The pass took a deflection and Gerling was able to knock home the loose puck out of midair.

Brant Harris scored on the power play, his fifth goal of the season, at 12:36 of the second period. He was assisted by Ambrosie and Billy Latta. The assists were the 10th and fourth of the season for Ambrosie and Latta, respectively.



After two periods, UConn outshot Robert Morris 22-18.

The Colonials made it a one-goal game just 1:48 into the third period off the stick of Adam Brace.

Ambrosie responded with an insurance tally at 5:34 that would turn out to be the game-winning goal. His sixth goal of the season was assisted by Harris and Jordan Sims.

UConn allowed a short-handed goal to Cody Wydo at 10:10 to make it 3-2. Grogan shut the door following the short-handed tally, stopping the final eight shots of the game to secure the two points.

The two teams will face off again on Saturday at 7:05 p.m. The game can be heard at with live video at Follow the men's hockey team @UConnMHoc.