Skip to main content Skip to footer
Men's Hockey Upended By Mercyhurst, 5-0

Garrett Bartus finished with 30 saves on Saturday night.

Jan. 19, 2013

Box Score

STORRS, Conn. - The UConn men's hockey team took 13 penalties for 42 total minutes and allowed two power-play goals in a 5-0 defeat at home to Mercyhurst on Saturday night. The loss drops UConn to 9-10-2 (6-8-1 AHA) while Mercyhurst improved to 11-9-1 (9-5-0 AHA). The Huskies defeated MC 5-4 on Friday night.

UConn will travel to No. 4 Quinnipiac on Tuesday, January 22 for a 7 p.m. contest. The game will be televised live on WCCT. Quinnipiac is undefeated in 16 straight games (14-0-2) and has the highest national ranking in program history.

"We weren't disciplined out there tonight, that's for sure, and the game got away from us," said Interim Head Coach David Berard. "They're a good team and when you give a good team that many power plays and that many opportunities, this is what happens. Really I'm upset about the total effort the guys gave and the lack of discipline. That's not how we want to play and that's not how we want to represent the university."

"We'll have our hands full on Tuesday at Quinnipiac, but if we can play like we've played over the last few months, minus this game, then we can certainly come away with a win," added Berard.

Connecticut outshot Mercyhurst, 40-35, but spent much of the night on the penalty kill, specifically in the second period where UConn took six penalties to Mercyhurst's one. Garrett Bartus stopped 30 shots while Max Strang earned the victory for Mercyhurst with 40 saves.

Mercyhurst scored on the first shot of the game, capitalizing on a turnover in the defensive end by a UConn blue liner. Matthew Zay intercepted a pass at the UConn blue line, came in on a two-on-one and snapped a shot past Bartus at 1:06.

The Huskies had chances throughout the period but Mercyhurst netminder Max Strang made two excellent gloves saves to keep the Lakers ahead, 1-0.

At 11:25, Sean Ambrosie snapped a wrist shot from the slot destined for the top-right corner that was snared by Strang. Evan Carriere wristed a shot at 17:31 from the top of the left face-off circle but was also denied by Strang.



The Huskies were called for six penalties in the second and Mercyhurst added two power-play goals in a 4:35 span to go ahead 3-0.

Ryan Misiak scored at 10:13 to take a2-0 lead and Nick Jones scored on a rush from the left side at 14:48.

Despite being on the penalty kill for much of the period, UConn outshot Mercyhurst in the second, 15-10. Billy Latta rang a shot from the slot off the left post at 17:44.

Mercyhurst added two more goals in the third period to make it 5-0. Paul Chiasson notched his eighth and ninth goals of the season at 7:36 and 15:45. UConn was 0-3 on the power play in the third and finished the game 0-5.