Skip to main content Skip to footer
Men’s Hockey Falls To Mercyhurst 7-2
  • print
  • email
  • font +
  • font -
  • rss

ERIE, Pa. (January 23, 2009) - The University of Connecticut men’s hockey team allowed two three-goal periods that led to their 7-2 loss at Mercyhurst Friday. After allowing the Lakers (10-12-2, 8-6-2 Atlantic Hockey) to gain a three goal advantage, UConn (5-17-1, 4-10-1 Atlantic Hockey) started a mini comeback in the second period cutting the lead to one. But four unanswered goals by Mercyhurst would seal the Lakers victory sending UConn home with the loss.

Mercyhurst was the first to score with just seven seconds left in the first period. After UConn was called for a penalty the Lakers pulled their goaltender for the man-advantage. Jeff Terminesi scored the delayed penalty goal for Mercyhurst to give them the 1-0 lead heading into the first intermission.

The Lakers kept the momentum going into the second period when they scored the first goal of the period 57 seconds in. Matt Pierce tapped in Mercyhurst's second goal of the night. They would continue on their goal scoring streak adding a third goal at 3:25. Terminesi stole the puck from a Husky and beat the UConn netminder sophomore Brad McInnis (Anchorage, Alaska), one-on-one.

UConn would finally get on the board at 6:30 in the second. With 43 seconds left in their power play opportunity, sophomore Andrew Olson (Alexandria, Minn.) recorded his tenth power play point of the season (six goals, four assists). He was assisted by freshman Marcello Ranallo (Burnaby, B.C.) who racked up his 12th assist of the season, good enough for second place on the team and senior Sean Erickson (Eden Prairie, Minn.).

Just four minutes later UConn scored again. After a McInnis save, sophomore Matt Pedemonti (Enfield, Conn.) picked up the loose puck and streaked down the ice dishing it off to junior Chris Ochoa (Santa Monica, Calif.). Ochoa blasted the puck into the top-left corner of the goal to cut the lead to one. But Mercyhurst would score once more just a mere 17 seconds later to regain their two-goal lead, on a score by Brett Robinson.

In the third all of the action was from Mercyhurst. After the first goal was scored at 7:20, the Lakers kept piling on the points ultimately ending the night with the 7-2 victory.

The Huskies are back in action Saturday for the final game of the weekend series at 7:05.