Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Scores Late to Beat Brown, 3-1

Feb. 2, 2016

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 

HARTFORD, Conn. – UConn freshman Marco Richter (Vienna, Austria) scored the game-winning goal at 18:22 in the third period to help lift the Huskies to a 3-1 win over visiting Brown University Tuesday night at the XL Center. Richter picked the perfect time to record his first career goal to help the Huskies end a four-game winless streak and improve to 9-15-3 overall on the season.

Sophomore Steve Thulin (North Reading, Mass.) earned his second career start in goal and delivered with a career-high 30 saves to earn his first collegiate victory.

Fellow freshman Max Letunov (Moscow, Russia) tacked on an empty net goal with 43 seconds left to seal the win, his team-leading 14th on the season. Letunov extends his point streak to seven-straight games while scoring a goal in five-straight. He has scored six goals over his last five-games. Classmate Tage Thompson (Orange, Conn.) picked-up a pair of assists in the win.

The Huskies took and an early 1-0 lead at 7:02 in the first period after Thompson set-up sophomore Spencer Naas (Minnetonka, Minn.) for his seventh on the season. Thompson picked the puck off a defender’s stick in the neutral zone and weaved through three defenders to feed Naas coming up the left side. Naas buried it quickly in the top-shelf for a 1-0 lead.

UConn killed off a pair of Brown power plays in the second period while Thulin made 11 saves to keep the Huskies in front 1-0 headed to the third. The Huskies started off the second period with a power play but came up empty on their third chance with the extra skater on the night. The Bears got their third power play at 10:31 of the third on a Joseph Masonius (Spring Lake, N.J.) holding call and came up with the tying goal at 12:05.

Mark Naclerio fired on net from the point with Thulin able to make the initial save. The rebound sat out front where Nick Lappin banged it in for his 13th on the season, knotting the game up at 1-1. Brown got another power play chance at 15:55 on a tripping call but UConn successfully killed it off and came up with the game-winner less than a minute later.

Richter collected a pass along the right boards and fought his way up ice and saw an opening to get to the net. Richter went to the right post and just chipped a shot on Tim Ernst that found a way to get into the back of the net for his first collegiate goal and a 2-1 lead. Brown pulled their goaltender with just over a minute remaining looking for the tying goal.

Masonius was able to clear a puck out of the UConn zone off the glass where Thompson collected and carried into the zone, feeding Letunov who put it home for the clincher.

The Huskies return to Hockey East action on Saturday night when they travel to Merrimack. The game will be televised and available on ESPN3.