Skip to main content Skip to footer
Huskies Fall At Home To Army, 4-2

Miles Winter has a goal in three-straight games.

Feb. 7, 2012

Box Score

STORRS, Conn. - The Connecticut men's hockey program dropped a 4-2 decision to Army at the Freitas Ice Forum in Storrs, Conn. on Tuesday tonight. The Huskies fell to 12-14-2 (11-9-1 AHA). Army improved to 4-15-7 (3-13-5 AHA).

UConn was outshot on the night, 30-15. Junior goaltender Garrett Bartus stopped 26 shots while Army netminder Ryan Leets finished with 13 saves to earn the victory.

"We can't have just 15 shots in our own building. That being said, we make it 2-2, at that point we need to find a way to win ugly. They still haven't figured it out," said UConn head coach Bruce Marshall.

Connecticut took a 1-0 lead with a power-play goal from Miles Winter at 9:33. Winter and senior Marcello Ranallo exchanged passes on the left side, leading to a Winter shot into the top-left corner from the bottom of the left face-off circle. The goal was Winter's seventh of the season and his third in as many games. Ranallo tallied his 10th assist of the season on the play.

Army found the equalizer off a Connecticut turnover in the neutral zone. Army forward Andy Starczewski stole the puck from a Connecticut defender on the wall in front of the UConn bench and found Zak Zaremba in the high slot, who beat Bartus on right side.

Neither team found the net in the second period, with Army outshooting the Huskies, 8-6, in the middle stanza.

Army took the lead at 4:04 of the third period with Staczewski finishing an unassisted tally to make it 2-1.

The Huskies responded with a Jordan Sims goal at 7:40. Sophomore Rui Encarnacao had a shot from in front saved. With the puck loose during a scramble in front of the net following the shot, Army netminder Ryan Leets attempted to cover the puck but had it poked into the goal by Sims at the top of the crease. The goal was Sims' eighth of the year.



The lead wouldn't last, however, as Army defenseman Bill Day fired a shot from the left wall at 8:42 that managed to squeeze through the pads of Bartus for the game-winning goal.

Kyle Maggard added an empty netter with 44 seconds remaining to finish the scoring.

UConn will host Sacred Heart on Friday, February 10 at 7:05 p.m. at the Freitas Ice Forum.