Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Huskies Suffer 4-1 Setback at Bentley

Junior Trevor Gerling

Feb. 8, 2014

Final Stats

WATERTOWN, Mass. – The Bentley Falcons scored three first period goals on their way to a 4-1 Atlantic Hockey Association win over the University of Connecticut Saturday evening at the John A. Ryan Arena.  Bentley answers UConn’s shutout win on Friday night to reclaim second place in the AHA standings.  The loss drops the Huskies record to 14-9-4 overall and 12-6-3 in the league.

Bentley improved to 14-10-4 and 12-5-4 in the AHA, jumping back over the Huskies for second place in the standings.  Goaltender Brenden Komm finished the night with 33 saves in net to earn the victory.

The Falcons flipped the script on the Huskies from Friday night’s 3-0 win, netting the opening goal just 1:54 into the first period.  Bentley’s Matt Maher blasted a shot from the blue line near the right boards and senior captain Jared Rickord was able to get a deflection.  Rickord redirected the shot near the right post past UConn freshman goaltender Robby Nichols (Dallas, Texas) for his seventh on the year and a 1-0 lead.

Bentley made it 2-0 at 15:15 on senior Justin Breton’s fourth goal of the year.  Rickord fed a pass across ice to Rickord at the right circle and he ripped a wrist shot top-shelf for a 2-0 lead.  UConn got their second power play of the night at 15:26 but the Falcons pushed their lead to 3-0 thanks to a shorthanded goal by Brett Switzer. 

Komm cleared the puck to Switzer who got loose into the UConn zone and beat Nichols one-on-one for a shorthanded score and three goal lead to end the first period.

The Huskies went to senior Matt Grogan (Gilbert, Ariz.) in goal to start the second period after Nichols allowed three goals on 10 shots in the first.  UConn pushed the action in the second period, out shooting Bentley 15-9 but couldn’t find the back of the net. 



UConn finally broke through in the opening minutes of the third period as junior Trevor Gerling (Seattle, Wash.) picked-up his seventh of the season.  The Huskies looked to dump to get a change early in the third period when Gerling was able to come up with the loose puck.  The junior forward collected right at the blue line and drove the net hard, working his way behind the net and converting a wrap-around to cut the deficit to 3-1 at 1:59.

From there Komm and the Falcons held the Huskies at bay and added an empty net goal by Max French in the closing seconds to secure the 4-1 victory.

The Huskies finished the night with a 34-31 edge on shots but came up empty on all six of their power play opportunities.  Grogan made 20 saves over the final two periods in relief of Nichols.

The Huskies are back on the ice on Tuesday night, February 11th for their final non-conference tilt of the season.  UConn will travel to future Hockey East member Providence College to take on the nationally No. 8/9 ranked Friars.