Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Shutout at Northeastern, 9-0

Feb. 13, 2015

Final Stats

BOSTON, Mass. – Kevin Roy scored four goals and Zach Ashton-Reese added three of his own to lead Northeastern to a 9-0 Hockey East win over visiting UConn Friday night from Matthews Arena.  UConn suffered its third shutout loss of the season, falling to 9-14-7 overall and 6-8-4 in Hockey East.

UConn and Northeastern will close out their Hockey East season series tomorrow afternoon from the XL Center in Hartford at 3:35 pm. 

Northeastern goaltender Clay Witt made 27 saves to record his first shutout of the season.  UConn continued to struggle on the power play, finishing the night 0-for-5 with the extra skater, extending their streak to six-straight games without a power play goal.  The Huskies have not scored on their last 24 power play chances.

Northeastern thoroughly dominated the first period of action, scoring five goals on 13 shots.  NU got their first just 2:48 into the period as Zach Aston-Reese got to the front of the net and deflected a Colton Saucerman shot from the point for his first of two goals in the period.  Aston-Reese notched his second at 10:38, coming on the power play.

Garret Cockerill scored to make it 3-0 just two minutes later, burying a one-timer past Rob Nichols (Dallas, Texas) from the right face-off circle off a feed from John Stevens behind the net.  NU’s leading scorer Kevin Roy made it two-for-two on the power play, snapping a wrist shot past Nichols from the left circle at 17:01.

UConn got their second power play of the night at 18:28 but gave up their sixth shorthanded goal of the season.  NU cleared the puck deep and Nichols came out of net to play it behind the goal.  Northeastern pressured the puck and caused the goaltender to turn it over, as Torin Snydeman fed Mike Szmatula who scored on the empty net for his first of the season and a 5-0 lead.  UConn looked as if they got on the board in the closing seconds, but a Cody Sharib goal, scored in a pile up in front was overturned on review for a hand pass.



Northeastern extended their lead to 7-0 after two periods as Aston-Reese and Roy both tacked on goals during the second stanza.  Aston-Reese picked-up his first career hat-trick, scoring his third of the night at 10:01.  NU got loose on a 4-on-2 odd man rush and Saucerman fed a pass from the left wing back to Aston-Reese trailing who beat a screened Nichols.  Roy notched his second of the night with just 18.9 seconds left in the period, deflecting a Dalen Hedges pass from the left half boards in front.

Roy finished the night’s scoring with his third and fourth goals of the night in the third period.  Roy completed his hat-trick at 4:50 of the third period, cleaning up a loose puck rebound at the right post.  The junior forward made it a four-goal night at the 12:16 mark, posting his 16th goal of the season.

The 9-0 shutout loss tied UConn’s worst shutout loss in the Division I era (1998-present).  The Huskies were shutout 9-0 at Bemidji and at home by Mercyhurst during the 2001-02 season.

UConn will play three of their final four regular season games at home in the XL Center starting tomorrow afternoon at 3:35 pm against Northeastern.  UConn is 4-1-3 at home in Hartford this season.