Skip to main content Skip to footer
Men's Hockey Drops Overtime Heartbreaker To Bentley, 2-1

Billy Latta gave UConn a 1-0 lead late in the first period.

Feb. 17, 2012

Box Score

STORRS, Conn. - The UConn men's hockey team relinquished a 1-0 lead in the first period and gave up the game-winning goal in overtime with just 1:17 remaining, falling to Bentley, 2-1, tonight at the Mark Edward Fretias Ice Forum in Storrs in front of nearly 1,000 fans.

The loss drops UConn to 12-16-3 (11-11-2 AHA) as the Huskies have dropped two-straight games in overtime and four of the last five overall.

With the score tied at 1-1 in overtime, Bentley capitalized on a poor bounce of the puck in the UConn defensive zone. UConn attempted to send the puck high off the right glass with just 1:17 remaining in overtime. The puck caromed off the glass and fell into the right face-off circle directly into the skates of Bentley forward Alex Grieve. Grieve passed to Brett Gensler in the slot who slid a pass over to Brett Switzer at the left post for the easy tap in.

For the game, UConn outshot Bentley, 31-28. UConn goaltender Garrett Bartus finished with 26 saves while Bentley's Branden Komm stopped 30 shots to earn the victory.

UConn went 0-3 on the power play. Bentley finished 1-3 with the man advantage.

Connecticut outshot the Falcons, 12-8, in the opening 20 minutes with sophomore forward Billy Latta notching the game's opening goal at 18:06. Senior Marcello Ranallo sent the puck from the left side down to captain Sean Ambrosie stationed behind the net. Ambrosie sent a pass to Latta in the right face-off circle who one-timed home his eighth goal of the season. Ambrosie and Ranallo tallied their 14th and 12th assists of the season on the goal.

The Huskies just missed on making it 1-0 at 9:09 when freshman wing Trevor Gerling's bid on a three-on-two rush was stopped by Komm.



The Falcons evened in the second period with a power-play goal from Joe Campanelli from left doorstep at 5:51. Campanelli was stoned at the left side of the crease by Bartus but stuffed home the rebound with assists going to Steve Weinstein and Matt Maher.

Neither team was able to put home the go-ahead goal in the third period. UConn sophomore Jordan Sims had UConn's best chance of the final 20 minutes with a partial breakaway at 11:20. Sophomore Cole Schneider won a face off in the defensive zone, springing Sims through the neutral zone with speed. With a defenseman on his right shoulder, Sims put a shot blocker side that was stopped by Komm.

Connecticut and Bentley will finish the season series at Bentley in Waltham, Mass. on Saturday at 7:05 p.m.