Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Drops 4-3 Decision to Army on Senior Night

Billy Latta and Shawn Pauly celebrate a first period goal

Feb. 21, 2014

Final Stats

STORRS, Conn. – Army freshman goaltender Parker Gahagen made 42 saves to lead the Black Knights to a 4-3 Atlantic Hockey win over the University of Connecticut Friday night at the Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum.  The wins snaps a 13-game losing streak for Army and drops the Huskies to 16-11-4 overall and 13-8-3 in the AHA with the loss.

The Black Knights finished 2-for-4 on the power play including the game-winner by C.J. Reuschlein at 2:18 in the third period, his 11th of the year.  Army’s Willie Faust scored a pair of goals while Kyle Vogel scored his first of the season in the win.

UConn came out quick and scored twice in the first 12 minutes of play.  Freshman Brent Norris (Ottawa, Ontario) got the game’s first goal and his seventh of the year 6:36 in.  Senior Brant Harris (Estevan, Saskatchewan) chipped the puck off the wall in the neutral zone to sophomore Patrick Kirtland (Cary, N.C.) who carried into the Army zone.  Kirtland centered a pass to Norris who ripped a shot that clipped the pipe into the top-shelf for a 1-0 lead.

The Huskies made it 2-0 at 11:36 as sophomore Shawn Pauly (Bellingham, Wash.) a nine-game goal scoring drought with his eighth of the season.  Junior Cody Sharib (Needham, Mass.) carried the puck up the left wing, feeding senior Billy Latta (West Chester, Pa.) who got a shot on goal.  Gahagen made the stop but left a rebound for Pauly to clean up at the right post.



Army’s Vogel cut the UConn lead in half at 12:28 when he snuck a wrist shot from the blue line past senior goaltender Matt Grogan (Gilbert, Ariz.), blocker side.  Faust notched his first of the night at 16:07 and tied the game at 2-2 heading into the locker room.  Army got their first power play at 15:37 when senior Jordan Sims (Toronto, Ontario) was called for tripping.  Josh Richards took the puck center ice and fed Faust on the right wing where he rifled one past Grogan for the first power play goal of the night.

Faust made it 3-2 Army at 7:17 in the second, his second of the, night finishing off a rebound from Andrew O’Leary.  The Huskies tied the scored at 11:40 as junior Trevor Gerling (Seattle, Wash.) benefited from action in front of the net.  Junior Jacob Poe (Arlington, Texas) fired from the point and freshman Brett Skibba (Verona, Wisc.) got a stick on the puck for a deflection.  Gerling crashed the net hard at the left post and cleaned up the loose puck for his eighth on the year and a 3-3 tie.

The Huskies got a five-minute power play opportunity at 15:02 in the period as Army’s Clint Carlisle was called for a boarding major.  The Huskies failed to capitalize, getting just two shots on Gahagen as the Black Knights killed it off.  Army struck for the game-winner just 2:18 into the third as Reuschlein converted on the power play.

Joe Kozlak made a nifty play in tight, shuffling a centering pass to Reushclein who buried it in the upper right corner for the game-winner.  The Huskies rang off 15 of their 45 shots in the third period but couldn’t solve Gahagen as the rookie netminder notched his first career victory.

The Huskies held a 45-27 edge on shots but were 0-of-3 on the power play.  Grogan made 23 saves in taking the loss.

Prior to the game, senior Grogan, Harris, Latta and Sims were honored, along with their families, for their contributions to the UConn men’s hockey program.  Friday marked the final regular season home game for the four graduating seniors.

Harris picked up and assist on the night and now has 107 career points, tying the UConn Division I career scoring record held by Cole Koidahl (2003-07 – 41g/65a/107).  Harris has 52 goals and 55 assists in his career.

UConn and Army will be back at it tomorrow night from Tate Rink in West Point, N.Y.  Opening face-off is at 7:05 pm.