Skip to main content Skip to footer
Men's Hockey Falls On The Road For The Second Straight Game To Quinnipiac 4-1

November 1, 2008

HAMDEN, Conn. (Nov. 1, 2008) - In a homecoming event for assistant coach, Joe Dumais (a 2006 graduate of Quinnipiac University), the University of Connecticut men's hockey team fell to the home team 4-1 in regulation. The Huskies (2-4-0) scored the first and only goal of the first period taking an early lead, but they were unable to tally any more points on the night giving up two power play goals nearing the end of the game to lose their third straight game in their series with the Bobcats (2-2-0).

UConn took the lead early at 8:32 when sophomore Stevie Bergin (Groton, Mass.)scored his first goal of the season on a quick shot past the Quinnipiac goalie Nick Pisellini. Bergin's goal was helped out by sophomore Justin Hernandez (Farmington Hills, Mich.) who tallied his first assist and point of the season giving UConn the early 1-0 lead.

Quinnipiac tied the game up at 5:43 in the second period when Scott Zurevinski, on a pass from Spencer Heichman, put the puck past UConn junior goalie Beau Erickson )(Hinton, Iowa) to bring the game to a 1-1 tie. The goal was the first career for Zurevinski.

Just over two minutes later at 7:54, David Marshall put the Bobcats up by one. Marshall took a few shots that were saved by Erickson, but his persistence eventually got the puck over the left shoulder of the UConn goalie from point blank range.

It looked as though UConn might tie the game up with less than 30 seconds remaining in a power play early into the third period. Senior Nick Schneider (Maplewood, Minn.) controlled the puck looking for his opportunity to score. He lined up a perfect shot that went through all of the Quinnipiac defenders but the puck hit the pipe squashing UConn's opportunity to even things up.



Brandon Wong put the Bobcats up by two at 10:45 when he sent a shot past Erickson's right shoulder. Before the Wong goal, neither team was able to capitalize on power play opportunities on the night as UConn had four and Quinnipiac had the same. After the Wong goal, less than a minute later, Marshall scored his second goal of the game, yet again on a power play putting the Bobcats up 4-1.

Erickson had to deal with a lot of shots between the pipes for the Huskies as he made 34 saves with 66 total shots flying in his direction. This season, Erickson has had games of 39, 34, 28 and 27 saves. Including tonight's game, Erickson has made 164 saves on the season.

The Huskies are back in action on the road next Friday, November 7 at Bentley at 7:05 p.m. The Friday night game will be their only game of the weekend.