Skip to main content Skip to footer
Huskies Open Season with 3-1 Exhibition Win Over Dalhousie

Junior Joey Ferriss scored a goal and added an assist in Sunday's 3-1 exhibition win
Oct. 5, 2014

Final Stats

STORRS, Conn. - The UConn men's hockey team posted a 3-1 win over Dalhousie University in an exhibition game to get the 2014-15 season underway Sunday afternoon from the Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum on campus.  The Huskies will open the regular season and their inaugural season in Hockey East when the puck drops next weekend on a two-game series at Penn State.

The Huskies got a goal and an assist from junior forward Joey Ferriss (Novi, Mich.) and sophomore defenseman Ryan Segalla (Rockland, Mass.) while junior forward Shawn Pauly (Bellingham, Wash.) scored on the power play to lead UConn offensively.  Freshman Spencer Naas (Minnetonka, Minn.) dished a pair of assists in his first collegiate action.

Head Coach Mike Cavanaugh used all 26 players on the roster Sunday afternoon while each of the team's three goaltenders also saw action.  Sophomore Rob Nichols, who will open the season in the starting role, earned Sunday's start and played the first period stopping all seven shots he faced.  Senior Tom Comunale (Seven Field, Pa.) got the nod for the second period and also kept Dalhousie off the scoreboard, stopping all eight shots he faced in the period.  Rookie Steve Thulin (North Reading, Mass.) played the third period for the Huskies and made seven saves before giving up a late goal with under two minutes to play.

The UConn special teams played well, killing off all five Dalhousie power plays while going one-for-three with the extra skater.  The Huskies held a 31-23 edge on shots in the win.

The two teams looked headed for a scoreless first period before the Huskies cracked the scoring column at 18:54.  Naas and Ferriss got loose through center ice and capitalized on a two-on-one chance.  Naas drove the left post hard and fed a nice back-door pass to Ferriss in the right circle, who buried it top-shelf.

The Huskies tacked on two more goals in the second period.  Dalhousie was called for a two many men on the ice penalty at 9:35 and the Naas helped the Huskies capitalize.  The freshman forward got a nice feed through center ice from Segalla and patiently waited to feed a hard skating Pauly at the left post for the power play goal at 11:08.

UConn made it 3-0 at the 16:16 mark as Segalla poked home a loose rebound in front.  Ferris carried the puck into the zone, feeding senior Cody Sharib (Needham, Mass.) on the right wing.  Sharib fired on Dalhousie netminder Corbin Boes who made the initial stop but couldn't collect the rebound.  Segalla found his way to net, cleaning up the loose puck for a 3-0 Husky lead late in the period.

Dalhousie's JP Harvey produced the 3-1 final, scoring off a rebound at 18:14 in the third.

The Huskies will open their season next Friday night, October 10th when they take on Penn State.  The puck drops at 7:00 pm at Pegula Ice Arena.  The two teams will meet again on Saturday afternoon with opening face-off scheduled for 3:00 pm.