Skip to main content Skip to footer
Harris Leads Men's Hockey To Wild 4-4 Tie At Bowling Green

Brant Harris had a great weekend for Connecticut with three goals.

Oct. 8, 2011

Box Score

STORRS, Conn. - The UConn men's hockey team competed in the second game of the season tonight in Bowling Green, Ohio and earned a 4-4 tie with the Bowling Green State Falcons. The Huskies finished the weekend with five power-play goals. Junior Garrett Bartus stopped 41 shots on the night as the Huskies were outshot, 45-18.

The Huskies stand at 0-1-1 after two games while Bowling Green sees its record go to 1-0-1.

UConn had to rally late to earn the result after giving up a two goal lead gained in the first period.

"We showed a lot of resiliency giving up a two goal lead and then trading goals late in the third period to work a tie. Hopefully it will be something a young team can grow from," said UConn head coach Bruce Marshall.

Sophomore Brant Harris scored two goals on the night and sent the game into overtime with just 1:51 remaining in regulation. Harris finished the weekend with three goals, including two on the power-play.

The Huskies gave up two quick power-play goals in the first game of the two-game series last night and responded tonight with a pair of power-play strikes of their own in the opening 10 minutes of the game.

Sean Ambrosie buried his first goal of the season on the man-advantage after passes from senior alternate captain Corey Jendras and junior Alex Gerke at 1:22.

The Huskies made it 2-0 with Brant Harris' second goal of the weekend. Harris was able to beat BGSU netminder Andrew Hammond with a shot off the bar and in at 9:19.

Freshman Trevor Gerling nearly netted the first goal of his career at 12:50 but his shot after a two-on-one break along with Cole Schneider was denied by Hammond.



Bowling Green held a 10-6 edge in shots after one period, but UConn was ahead on the scoreboard, 2-0.

Bowling Green cut the lead in half 5:08 into the second period with their third power-play goal of the series, this time off the stick of Camden Wojtala. The Falcons evened the score at 15:35 with an even-strength goal from Dan Desalvo.

After two periods, Bowling Green increased the shot advantage to 30-9 forcing 28 saves out of Bartus in 40 minutes.

The Falcons took their first lead just 4:09 into the final period. Bryce Williamson fired the puck past Bartus from in close to make it 3-2.

Connecticut continued its exceptional play with the man advantage, earning the equalizer from Billy Latta with a one-time slap shot at 8:22. He was assisted by fellow sophomores Jordan Sims and Rui Encarnacao.

Bowling Green took the lead yet again 17:58 into the third period. The Falcons looked to have earned a come-from-behind victory but Harris responded instantly off the following faceoff. At 18:09, Harris buried his second goal of the game and third of the weekend with an assist going to Cole Schneider to even the score at 4-4.

Neither team was able to score in overtime and the game went into a shootout. Bowling Green competes in the CCHA which conducts shootouts in league games but does not count on the national stage.

Bartus was sensational, stopping all four shots. Harris was the hero once again in the shootout, scoring on UConn's fourth attempt.

The Huskies are on the road for three more games before heading back to Storrs for the home opener on Thursday, October 27 against AHA foe Holy Cross at 7:05 p.m.