Skip to main content Skip to footer
Men’s Hockey Falls To Yale 2-1 In Final Minute Of The Game
  • print
  • email
  • font +
  • font -
  • rss

– The University of Connecticut men’s hockey team returned home for the first time in three games and took on Yale University for the first time ever at Mark E. Freitas Ice Forum. UConn (2-6-0) went up early into the second period but after numerous penalties the Bulldogs (3-1-0) were able to get on the board and tie the game up at one-all. With less than a minute remaining in the game, Yale was able to get the 2-1 game-winner in and remain unbeaten against the Huskies in their 37-year history.

Not much was going for either team during the first period of play. There were a combined 17 shots on goal taken by both teams but the stellar goalkeeping of each team by junior Beau Erickson (Hinton, Iowa) and Yale’s Ryan Rondeau kept the game knotted at 0-0 going into the first intermission.

UConn went up early into the second period when, at 4:33, sophomore Justin Hernandez (Farmington Hills, Mich.) and junior Chris Ochoa (Santa Monica, Calif.) went racing down the ice in a two-on-one play. Ochoa passed the puck to Hernandez who slapped it in for the score and the 1-0 lead.

Later into the second period there was an injury scare when Yale’s Nick Jaskowiak remained on the ice after being hit into the boards. He was carted off of the ice on a stretcher but gave the crowd the thumbs up on his way out. The penalty from that injury set off a barrage of penalties against both teams. UConn finished the game with 12 penalties for 27 minutes and the Bulldogs finished with 11 for 33.

UConn had three men in the penalty box and just after their third penalty was called, Yale took advantage of the power play opportunity and tied the game up at one-apiece. Mark Arcobello, with a little help from Denny Kearney, was able to come up with the game-tying goal for the Bulldogs. Although Yale was able to score on that power play, both teams fared poorly during power plays on the night as UConn was 0-8 and Yale was 1-8.   

The play stayed tight for the remainder of the game, but with just 59 seconds left on the clock, Arcobello was able to score the game winning goal after there was a rush of shots just in front of the goal. After a few initial saves, the puck flew into the back of Erickson and bounced into the goal for the game-winner.

Erickson put up yet another huge number of saves on the night with 32 against the strong Yale offense. Erickson’s saves for the year has climbed up to 162.

The Huskies are back in action on the road this weekend when they travel to Buffalo to take on the Griffs of Canisius. They will play games on Saturday and Sunday on the road trip with the puck dropping at 3:05 p.m. both days.