Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Rallies for 4-3 Win Over Holy Cross

Sophomore Joey Ferriss

Nov. 12, 2013

Final Stats

STORRS, Conn. - The University of Connecticut men's hockey team fell behind 3-2 in the third period but battled their way back to a 4-3 victory over Holy Cross in Atlantic Hockey Association action Tuesday night at the Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum.  UConn sophomore Shawn Pauly (Bellingham, Wash.) netted the game-winner at 15:31 to keep the Huskies unbeaten in their last four games and improve to 3-2-1 on the year.

The Huskies (3-2-1, 2-0-0 AHA) have been off the ice since their 4-2 win over Sacred Heart on November 2nd and some rust showed in the first period Tuesday night.  The Crusaders held a 14-4 edge on shots over the first 20 minutes but could not crack senior goaltender Matt Grogan (Gilbert, Ariz.).

UConn burst out of the locker room to start the second and freshman Joona Kunnas (Vantaa, Finland) gave the Huskies a 1-0 lead midway through, scoring his first career goal.  Kunnas buried a wrister in the top shelf past HC goaltender Matt Ginn, off a feed from Ryan Tyson (Harleysville, Pa.) and Joey Ferriss (Novi, Mich.). 

Ferris took advantage of an odd man rush after the Huskies killed off a penalty.  Ferris picked-up a loose puck and sniped one for a 2-0 lead at 18:10.  The Crusaders stole back the momentum just 30 seconds later as Nick Finn score scored his first collegiate goal to send his team to the locker room down just 2-1.



The Crusaders (2-6-0, 2-1-0 AHA) took advantage early of a back-and-forth third period, scoring two more to storm back for a 3-2 lead.  Matt Vidal evened the score at 2-2 when he tipped home a Tim Driscoll shot at the doorstep four minutes in.  Finn gave his team a 3-2 lead at 8:47 when he scored his second of the night, set-up again by Driscoll.

The Huskies stormed back starting with their top-line getting into the act at 11:07.  Junior Cody Sharib got free on the right wing and after his initial shot was stopped, he cleaned up the rebound on a wide open net to knot it at 3-3. 

Pauly gave the Huskies the lead back for good at 15:31 as he took a feed from junior Trevor Gerling, went straight to net and buried the game-winner. 

UConn's defense locked down Holy Cross from there with the highlight coming at 3:11 when Grogan kept the game tied stopping a penalty shot.  Jordan Sims (Toronto, Ontario) was called for tripping Driscoll on a break-away and but Driscoll came-up empty on the penalty shot attempt.  Driscoll went high, glove side but Grogan was game and flipped his shot high and wide.

Grogan finished the night with 27 saves in earning the win.  Holy Cross goaltender Matt Ginn made 22 stops.

The Huskies will close out a five-game homestand at the Freitas Ice Forum on Friday night when they play host to the Bentley Falcons in AHA action.  The puck drops at 7:05 pm.