Skip to main content Skip to footer
Men’s Hockey Falls To Canisius 3-2 In First Overtime Game Of The Season
  • print
  • email
  • font +
  • font -
  • rss
- In their first overtime game of the season, the University of Connecticut men’s hockey team fell to Canisius 3-2. The Huskies (2-8-0, 2-3-0 Atlantic Hockey) got ahead in the first period to a 2-0 lead but allowed Canisius (5-3-2, 4-1-1 Atlantic Hockey) to tie the game up at 2-2 with two third period goals. The Griffs scored a goal 49 seconds into overtime to sweep the weekend series with UConn.

UConn got out to an early lead when junior Chris Ochoa (Santa Monica, Calif) scored his first goal since October 25 to give the Huskies a 1-0 lead. Freshman Pat McAuley (Mt. Sinai, N.Y.) tallied the first point of his collegiate career with an assist on the Ochoa goal.

With just over a minute remaining in the period, junior Michael Coppola (Old Brookville, N.Y.) scored his second goal of the season at 18:53. Coppola got some help on the goal from freshman Marcello Ranallo (Burnaby, B.C.), who tallied his fifth assist of the season, and sophomore Jason Krispel (Cypress, Calif.) who marked his team-leading eighth assist.

The Huskies managed their two first period goals on just eight shots on goal. The Huskies went on to add to their shot total during the second period when they outscored Canisius 11 to seven, but neither team was able to score.

The Griffs got on the board early into the third period when Pat Kenney scored a goal at 3:57. Josh Heidinger and Peter MacDougall had the assists on the goal. Canisius managed another goal in the first half of the third period to tie the game up at two-all when Cory Conacher put in the game-tying goal at 9:22. Jason Weeks and Matt Zuke had the assists on the goals.

After the game became tied, the Huskies tried their hardest to end it in regulation taking 13 shots while only allowing Canisius four. But in overtime, though UConn was able to manage the first two shots of the period, Canisius got the puck back and just 49 seconds into the overtime period, Dave Kostuch got the puck past junior Beau Erickson (Hinton, Iowa) and scored his seventh goal of the season to seal the victory. Heidinger and Weeks had the assists on the game-winning goal.

UConn will return home next weekend for their first weekend series since they swept Army at home on October 24 and 25. The Huskies will face RIT Friday at 7:05 at the Mark E. Freitas Ice Forum.