Skip to main content Skip to footer
Huskies Lose at Boston University, 4-1

Sr. Captain Brant Harris

Nov. 17, 2013

Final Stats

BOSTON, Mass. - University of Connecticut senior captain Brant Harris (Estevan, Saskatchewan) scored his first goal of the season but the Huskies came up short in their first-ever meeting with Boston University, falling 4-1 to the Terriers at Agganis Arena.  The Huskies have lost two-straight and fall to 3-4-1 on the young season.

The Huskies got 37 saves from senior goaltender Matt Grogan (Gilbert, Ariz.) in the loss as the Terriers held a 41-29 advantage on shots on the night.

UConn's Grogan helped the Huskies weather a first period onslaught by BU, turning away all 17 shots he faced to keep the game scoreless at the first intermission.  BU controlled the puck for much of the period and held a 17-8 edge on shots but couldn't crack Grogan.  The senior netminder turned away a one-time attempt and took a goal away from Kevin Duane, robbing him on the doorstep.

The Terriers (5-6-0) took control of the game in the second period, putting three goals on the board.  BU struck early in the second as Danny O'Regan beat Grogan one-on-one, tucking one in at the right post 33 seconds into the period.  BU freshman Nick Roberto carried into the zone and snipped a shot past Grogan stick side from the right circle at 5:23, producing what would be the game winner.  Robbie Baillargeon delivered the pass that broke Roberto on the scoring play.

BU got the first power play opportunity of the night and took advantage for a 3-0 lead at 14:44.  Duane fired one goal from the right circle, getting one past a screened Grogan on the play.  The Huskies have now given up goals on their opponent's last three power play opportunities dating back to Friday night's loss to Bentley.  With three goals in the second, the Terriers have now outscored their opponents 17-7 in the second period this season.



The Huskies refused to go quietly in the third period, skating hard and outshooting BU 10-6.  In just his second game back from injury, Harris scored his first goal of the season.  Defenseman Kyle Huson (Parker, Colo.) got the puck to Harris on the left wing, who then buried a wrist shot from the left circle in the top shelf, short side.

UConn had two power play opportunities to cut further into the BU lead but the Terriers killed off both, including a two-man Husky advantage in the closing minutes.  Since going 4-for-8 on the power play in wins over Army and Sacred Heart three games ago, the Huskies are 0-for-8 with the extra skater.

The Terriers finished off the night with Robbie Baillargeon tacking on an empty net goal at 19:12 for the 4-1 final.

Sunday's game was the first of two against future Hockey East opponents this season.  The Huskies will head to nationally ranked Providence in February.  They can also possibly face UMass as part of the 2013 UConn Hockey Classic if both teams advance to the championship game.  UConn will become a member of Hockey East for the 2014-15 season.

The Huskies return to Atlantic Hockey action on Saturday, November 23rd with a trip to American International.  The puck drops at 7:05 pm and you can hear all the action on WHUS 91.7.