Skip to main content Skip to footer
Husky Offense Erupts in 8-1 Win at AIC

Jr. Trevor Gerling

Nov. 23, 2013

Final Stats

WEST SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – The University of Connecticut men’s hockey team got a season-high eight goals from seven different players on the way to an 8-1 Atlantic Hockey Association win at American International Saturday night.  The Huskies deal the Yellow Jackets their first AHA loss of the season and improve to 3-1-0 in the AHA and 4-4-1 overall with the win.

The Huskies blew the game open in the second period scoring four goals.  Freshman Brent Norris (Ottawa, Ontario) scored what proved to be the game-winner early in the second period on the power play as the Huskies would go on to finish the night three-for-four with the extra skater.

AIC got the game’s first extra man opportunity 10:41 in to the first period as UConn’s Kevin Tuohy (Salisbury Mills, N.Y.) was called for interference.  The Yellow Jackets tested the Huskies just once as Brandon Fagerheim was turned away by goaltender Matt Grogan (Glibert, Ariz.) right on the doorstep. 

UConn opened the scoring at 15:48 as junior Cody Sharib (Needham, Mass.) buried his second of the season, finding a rebound on the right post and chipping it home.  The Huskies got a turnover in the offensive zone and Brant Harris (Estevan, Saskatchewan) fired on goal with Sharib there to clean up the loose puck.  AIC found the equalizer at 18:02 as Blake Peake blasted a shot that Grogan appeared to stop only to see the puck squeak through and trickle over the goal line. 



The Huskies got their first power play opportunity at 19:13 in the first and capitalized with just a second left with the extra man early in the second.  Norris buried a rebound at the left post for his first collegiate goal and the game-winner.  Norris ended a 0-9 drought on the Husky power play with his goal. UConn dominated the second period, posting three more goals as they out shot the Yellow Jackets 14-3.

Sophomore Tyler Bouchard (Glastonbury, Conn.) made it 3-1 UConn at 3:51 scoring off a Jordan Sims (Toronto, Ontario) rebound.  Classmate Shawn Pauly (Bellingham, Wash.) made it 3-1 at 13:26, powering home a shot out of a scrum in front of net.

The Huskies tacked on their fourth of the period off the stick of freshman Sean Gaffney (Plymouth, Mich.) on a great individual effort.  Gaffney collected a loose puck after his initial shot was blocked and then buried a wrist shot from just inside the circle at 18:16, marking his first collegiate goal.

Junior Trevor Gerling (Seattle, Wash.) scored the first UConn goal in the third, delivering the Huskies sixth goal at 11:27.  Gerling threw the puck on goal from just outside the blue line but AIC goaltender Hunter Leisner misplayed it, leaving the junior forward the opportunity too bury home the loose puck.

UConn would close out the scoring in the final minute of play, scoring twice on power play opportunities.  Bouchard scored his second of the night at 19:29 and sophomore Patrick Kirtland (Cary, N.C) made it 8-1 wit a goal at 19:51.  Norris picked up assists on both goals.

Grogan made 17 saves in the net to earn his third victory of the season.  AIC’s Leisner turned away 30 UConn shots in the loss.

The Huskies are back on the road for an AHA weekend series at Canisius next weekend, November 29th and 30th