Skip to main content Skip to footer
Men's Hockey Downs Brown For First Time In Series History 4-1
  • print
  • email
  • font +
  • font -
  • rss

- The University of Connecticut men’s hockey team traveled to Providence, R.I. for their eighth away game in 13 matches during the 2008-09 season and went on to defeat Brown University for the first time in the history of the program. Going into the game, Brown held a 3-0-1 series lead but at the end of the 60 minutes of regulation, UConn would win and end the Bears’ undefeated streak.

For the fourth game in a row, the Huskies scored at least two goals during the first period. The Huskies scored their first goal of the game at 6:18 when freshman Bobby Reiners (Grosse Ile, Mich.) fired in a rocket shot, and his first goal of his college career, on a pass from sophomore Jason Krispel (Cypress, Calif.). Krispel added to his team-leading assists total with his 10th assist of the year.

After the UConn goal, Brown had two good opportunities to tie the game up when at 13:49 Jarred Smith had a point blank opportunity at the goal but junior Beau Erickson (Hinton, Iowa) nabbed the shot saving the 1-0 lead. Just two minutes later there was another point blank opportunity for the Bears when Bobby Famham got off another point blank shot that he thought he got past Erickson, but Erickson trapped the puck underneath him saving the goal.

UConn gained an even bigger lead when they took control of the offense and freshman Marcello Ranallo (Burnaby, BC) scored his fourth goal of the year to lead among the freshmen. Ranallo got some help on the goal from Michael Coppola (Old Brookville, N.Y.) and Krispel who kept adding to his assist total which now stands at 11. Coppola nabbed his third assist of the season.

Brown looked like they had scored their first goal of the game at 3:21 in the second when they got the puck in the net but according to the referees, before the puck was in the net, the net came off negating what would have cut the Huskies lead in half. Less than 30 seconds later, UConn tacked on another goal when Krispel tallied his first goal of the year. Ranallo returned the favor helping Krispel out on the goal to give the Huskies the three-goal lead, their first three-goal lead since they went up 6-3 against Army on October 25.

Erickson held Brown to 50 scoreless minutes before giving up the first Brown goal of the day to Aaron Volpatti. After freshman Brad Cooper (Boca Raton, Fla.) was tripped up as he was trying to clear the puck, Michael Griffin took control of the loose puck sending a pass across to Volpatti for the score. Erickson finished with 27 saves on the day for the Huskies.

With the score 3-1 and a minute remaining in the game, the Bears pulled their goalie and at 19:35 in the third, Coppola would tap in a late empty-net goal to put the Huskies back up by three. The goal was the third of the year by Coppola and the first of the open net kind.

UConn went on to win the game 4-1 taking the victory in two of their last three games and netting their first win on the road this year.

The Huskies are back in action Tuesday, December 2 at Sacred Heart. The puck will drop at 7:05.