Skip to main content Skip to footer
Huskies Outshoot Canisius But Fall, 3-0

Trevor Gerling finished with five shots.

Nov. 30, 2012

Box Score

STORRS, Conn. - The University of Connecticut men's hockey team outshot Canisius, 36-24, but failed beat visiting goaltender Tony Capobianco and fell at home, 3-0. The loss drops UConn to 4-6-1 (3-5-0 AHA) while Canisius improves to 4-6-4 (3-2-2 AHA). The Huskies had won two straight and four of the last five.

Bentley scored the opener in the first and added two late in the third; one on the power play and an empty netter in the final minute.

The two teams will finish the season series on Saturday at the Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum at 7:05 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at or at the ticket booth inside Freitas.

Capobianco, the reigning Atlantic Hockey Association Goaltender of the Week, notched double-digit stops in each period as UConn had the better of the action for much of the game.

"They play a very defensive style, they pack it in. When you get chances, you have to take advantage of them," said Assistant Coach David Berard. "They played a good road game. They deserved to win because they did what you have to do on the road. They shut us out in our own building. I think we had some moments where we did some good things but we didn't do them enough.

"We didn't take advantage of our chances tonight... All of a sudden they get that power play goal. It was a bit fluky where it gets dumped, hit's Tyler Cooke in the knee and goes right to their guy and he shoots it five-hole. It was one of those nights."

The Huskies outshot Canisius in the first period, 11-6, but it was the Golden Griffins who opened the scoring 15:54 into the game. Logan Roe scored from the left point with assists going to Doug Beck and Patrick Sullivan.

Connecticut had several quality chances in the first, but sophomore Trevor Gerling's attempt from the right doorstep was stoned by Capobianco and line-mate Evan Carriere's backhand from the right side was swiped away on the goal line by the glove of Capobianco just before crossing the line at 8:35. UConn's third line with Shawn Pauly at center flanked by Gerling and Carriere was dangerous all night.



"That line has played great in the last four or five games," added Berard. "Tonight I think they had 11 shots. They were our best line. They seemed to have the most pressure and the most opportunities. This has been trending that way for the last three or four games. When you're down 1-0, you want to keep getting them out there. They deserve it."

The Huskies had the majority of the action in the second period, outshooting the Griffins 12-8. Each team had a power-play opportunity in the period with both teams failing to score on just one shot attempted.

UConn freshman Shawn Pauly had the best opportunity for either team with 15 seconds remaining in the period, deflecting a shot from the point into the right post.

After two, UConn held the edge in shots, 23-14, with Canisius ahead on the scoreboard, 1-0. Once again, UConn outshot Bentley in the final period, 13-10, but failed to finish on Capobianco. The Huskies took two penalties in the period and Canisius capitalized with a power-play goal at 16:23 from Kyle Gibbons.

The Huskies pulled the goalie in the final minutes and gave up an empty-netter off the stick of Preston Shupe to close out the scoring.