Skip to main content Skip to footer
Huskies Battle Back for 2-2 Tie at Canisius

Sr. Captain Brant Harris

Nov. 30, 2013

Final Stats

BUFFALO, N.Y. - University of Connecticut senior captain Brant Harris (Estevan, Saskatchewan) scored the game-tying goal at 18:35 in the third period to help the Huskies close out an Atlantic Hockey Association series at Canisius College with a 2-2 tie Saturday afternoon.  The Huskies scored twice in the third period to come away with a point on the weekend and are now 4-5-2 overall and 3-2-1 in the AHA.

UConn (4-5-2, 3-2-1 AHA) held a 38-20 edge on shots but struggled on special teams, going just 1-of-7 on the power play while Canisius (4-7-1, 3-3-1 AHA) scored twice on their four power play chances.  The Golden Griffins got 36 saves from Tony Capobianco on the night. 

The Huskies and Golden Griffs skated to a scoreless first period with UConn holding a 10-5 edge on shots.  The Huskies got a power play opportunity at 7:25 but failed to get a shot off.  UConn again got the extra skater at 15:35 and junior Jacob Poe (Arlington, Texas) ripped a pair of shots from the left circle, one wide and another stopped by Capobianco to keep the game scoreless.

Canisius was called for their third penalty of the period at 19:33 as Carl Larsson was whistled for slashing.  The Huskies opened the second period with 1:33 left on the power play but came up empty once again.  The Golden Griffs took advantage of their first chance with the extra skater as UConn was whistled for too many men on the ice at 4:03.



Junior Doug Jessey blasted a shot past UConn's Robby Nichols (Dallas, Texas) with just two seconds left on the power play for a 1-0 lead at 6:01.  Jessy collected a pass on the left wing just inside the blue line, carried to the middle and fired through traffic, beating a screened Nichols for his second goal of the season.

Canisius killed off their fourth penalty of the game midway through the period, with Capobianco denying Harris twice on the doorstep.  The Huskies ended the second period outshooting Canisius 17-7 but trailing 1-0.

UConn got the game knotted at a goal apiece at the 5:06 mark as junior Ryan Tyson (Harleysville, Pa.) got his first goal of the season.  Tyson won the draw back to freshman Joona Kunnas (Vantaa, Finland) who fired a wrister on goal.  Tyson came up with the deflection to tie it at 1-1.

The Golden Griffs scored their second power play goal of the night at 7:12 in the third as Kyle Gibbons blasted a shot just inside the left circle through traffic for a 2-1 lead.  It looked as if Canisius would escape with the 2-1 win and series sweep before the Huskies finally found some power play magic late.

Canisius's Ralph Cuddemi was called for tripping at 18:27 and the Huskies used their time-out to pull Nichols from goal and set-up a 6-on-3 opportunity.  UConn's Billy Latta (West Chester, Pa.) won the draw, took a pass back from Poe and fired on goal.  Capobianco made the initial save but Harris was waiting to clean up the rebound, short side for his third of the season, knotting the game at 2-2.

The Huskies got another power play opportunity in the closing seconds of the third as Gibbons was sent off for hooking at 19:48 but the Golden Griffs killed off the penalty and held UConn without a shot in overtime to preserve the tie.

Nichols made 18 saves in goal for the Huskies in his second career start.

The Huskies are back at home in the Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum as they play host to the Niagara Purple Eagles in an AHA series December 6th and 7th.  Opening face-off is scheduled for 7:05 pm Friday night and 4:05 pm on Saturday.