Skip to main content Skip to footer
Huskies Sweep No. 5 UMass Lowell

Dec. 6, 2015

Final Stats

LOWELL, Mass. – UConn junior goaltender Rob Nichols (Dallas, Texas) stopped 30 shots and freshman Tage Thompson (Orange, Conn.) scored another power play goal to lead the Huskies to a 2-1 win at No. 5 nationally ranked UMass Lowell Sunday afternoon from the Tsongas Center. The win give the Huskies a weekend sweep over the nationally ranked River Hawks.

The Huskies improve to 5-10-0 overall with the win and are now 3-7-0 in Hockey East. UMass Lowell drops to 10-3-4 and 6-2-3 in the league.

Thompson buried his seventh power play goal for the game-winner at 13:03 in the third period. The freshman finished the weekend sharing the lead in the nation in power play goals with Minnesota Duluth’s Austin Farley. All seven of Thompson’s goals this season have come on the power play.

The River Hawks out shot UConn 14-4 in the first period and had the best look over the first 20 minutes on a shorthanded breakaway. Evan Campbell collected the puck off a face-off late in the period and was one-on-one with Nichols who stoned him on a glove save to keep the game scoreless into the first break.

The Huskies couldn’t capitalize on three power play chances in the second period and it would be the River Hawks who would break the scoreless tie with an extra skater goal late. After UMass Lowell was whistled for the game’s first five penalties, UConn then took three-straight over the final six minutes of the second.

Freshman Joseph Masonius (Spring Lake, N.J.) went to the box with 52 seconds left and the River Hawks got the game’s first goal with just five ticks left. Defenseman Dylan Zink carried the puck in deep, firing from the right circle. Nichols made the stop but Zink collected his own rebound and fired a pass through the crease to Chapie who buried it at the far post for a 1-0 lead.

UConn tied it up at 8:34 in the third as senior Shawn Pauly (Bellingham, Wash.) got a puck past Kevin Boyle in a scrum in front. Sophomore David Drake (Naperville, Ill.) fired on net from the right circle. The puck banged around in front of Boyle before Pauly was able to tip it in for his second on the season.

Just seconds after the tying goal, UConn’s Derek Pratt was called for taking down Ryan McGrath on a break-away, leading to a penalty shot. Nichols was up to the task as McGrath tried to go to the right post but was shut off by the junior netminder, keeping it 1-1.

The Huskies got their sixth power play chance at the 11:13 mark as Nick Master was called for tripping. Thompson found the puck in front, off the stick of classmate Max Letunov (Moscow, Russia) and was able to get to the right post and lift it top-shelf past Boyle for a 2-1 lead.

UConn finished the game with a 33-31 edge on shots and was 1-for-6 on the power play. The River Hawks were 1-for-4 with the extra skater.

The Huskies return home to the XL Center on Friday night, December 11th when they play host to the No. 16 ranked Merrimack Warriors in a Hockey East showdown.