Skip to main content Skip to footer
Men's Hockey Drops 4-2 Result To Bentley In Final Game Before Break

Billy Latta was the most dangerous player on the ice tonight for UConn.

Dec. 9, 2011

Box Score

STORRS, Conn. - In the final game before the holiday break, the UConn men's hockey team dropped a 4-2 result to Bentley tonight at Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum. UConn dropped to 5-9-2 (4-6-1 AHA) while Bentley improved to 5-8-3 (5-3-2 AHA).

UConn finished with a 27-26 edge in shots but failed to take the lead throughout the game. Garrett Bartus stopped 22 shots with his counterpart Branden Komm from Bentley making 25 saves on the night.

UConn sophomore Billy Latta finished with a goal and an assist for two points. Cole Schneider notched UConn's second goal.

Neither team was able to open the scoring in the first period with UConn outshooting the Falcons, 10-9.

The Huskies failed to beat Komm in the first 20 minutes but generated decent chances throughout. Komm allowed long rebounds on a pair of wrist shots from Billy Latta midway through the period but UConn was unable to pounce on the loose pucks.

The UConn defense limited Bentley to two stray shots on the period's only power play with just over a minute remaining in the first period.

Bentley would convert on the power-play time carried over from the first period just 41 seconds into the second. Benltey freshman Alex Kubiak finished from the left face-off circle with assists to Brett Gensler and Steve Weinstein.

Latta responded with his third goal of the season at 6:43. Brad Cooper sent pass through the neutral zone to Latta at the blue line. Latta skated in and beat Komm over the left shoulder to make it 1-1.

The Falcons once again took the lead off a fluke play with just 40 seconds remaining in the period. Bentley forward Joe Campanelli sent a pass from the left face-off circle through the slot that deflected off the skate of a UConn defender past Bartus to make it 2-1.



UConn evened the score once again at 2-2 1:17 into final period. Latta sent a pass from the right side through the slot to Schneider who tapped home his fifth of the season.

Bentley responded to take the lead for good at 4:43 with Jared Rickord beating Bartus into the right side from a foot outside the crease.

Connecticut pressed for the equalizer, with Tom Janosz ringing a shot off the post through traffic with under seven minutes remaining, but couldn't beat Komm.

The two teams took matching penalties creating a 4-on-4 at 2:20. UConn pulled Bartus midway through to go 5-on-4 but failed to generate the equalizer. Bentley added the insurance tally into the empty net at 19:31.

UConn will be off for the holiday break until it hosts the 19th annual Toyota UConn Hockey Classic on Thursday and Friday, December 29 and 30. UMass Lowell will play RPI at 4 p.m. on Thursday followed by UConn vs. Army at 7:15. The consolation game is set for Friday at 4 p.m. followed by the championship at 7:15.