Jan. 29, 2014
The University of Connecticut makes their longest road trip of the season when they head to Colorado to take on the Air Force Falcons in an Atlantic Hockey Association series. The Huskies are coming off an AHA series sweep of AIC last weekend and have moved into third place in the league standings with 23 points. The Falcons were swept last weekend at Robert Morris and are just two points behind UConn in fourth place. This will be the last AHA series of the season against the league's western teams (Air Force, Canisius, Mercyhurst, Niagara, RIT, Robert Morris).
UConn vs. Air Force All-Time Series... The Air Force Falcons lead the all-time series, 20-6-4. The Huskies have won just twice all-time on the road in Colorado, during the 2007-08 season and in the AHA Quarterfinals in 2011-12. The Huskies swept both meetings at home last season, winning 2-1 in Storrs and 3-2 in overtime in a game played at the XL Center in downtown Hartford. The two teams have met just once in the AHA postseason with the Falcons eliminating the Huskies in a three-game series, 2-1, in 2012.
On Tap... The Huskies will play a home-and-home series with Bentley next weekend. UConn will host the Falcons on Friday, February 7th and head to Bentley on Saturday, February 8th.
- Junior Jacob Poe jumped to tied for 9th among AHA defensemen in scoring thanks to his 3 pt (2g/1a) weekend vs. AIC. Poe has 11 pts (3g/8a) on the year.
- Poe did not have a goal last season, but scored three as a freshman in 2011-12.
- The UConn power play (.218) ranks 3rd in the AHA and 11th in the nation.
- The Husky penalty kill (.829) ranks 2nd in the AHA and 21st in the nation.
- The Huskies have given opponents 76 power plays opportunities this season, 5th fewest in the country. On the flip side, UConn has had 87 power plays, 49th in the nation.
- Freshman Brent Norris has 4 points in his last 4 games (3g/1a). Junior Shawn Pauly has 4 points in his last 3 games (1g/3a).
- Senior Jordan Sims is closing in on the 100-point plateau, entering the Air Force series with 97 career points (35g/62a) in 133 games. Senior Billy Latta has 89 career points (37g/52a) in 130 career games.
- Sims has scored a goal in each of the last three games and leads the team in scoring with 18 pts (6g/12a).
- Senior Brant Harris is six points away (49g-52a-101p) from tying Cole Koidahl (`03-'07) for the all-time Division I scoring mark (Koidahl 41g-66a-107p).
- Freshman Robby Nichols made a season-high 34 saves in last Friday's 3-2 win at AIC.
- 21 of the 27 Huskies to suit up this season have recorded at least a point with 17 scoring at least one goal on the year.
Last Time Out... The Huskies completed the season sweep over AIC with a pair of wins in a home-and-home last weekend. UConn went to West Springfield on Friday night and came away with a 3-2 win over the Yellow Jackets and returned home on Saturday night to finish the weekend sweep with a 2-1 victory. On Friday, freshman Robby Nichols got the start in goal and turned 34 saves to earn the victory. After trailing 1-0, power play goals by Jordan Sims and Jacob Poe and a goal by Brent Norris capped a three-goal rally to fuel the UConn offense. Both Poe and Norris also picked up assists on the night while the Huskies got off a season-high 41 shots in the win. On Saturday, the Huskies fell behind 1-0 again in the opening period but Sims and Poe once again delivered. The duo scored their second goals of the weekend just 43 seconds apart to take a 2-1 lead. Senior Matt Grogan was back in goal on Saturday and turned away 20 shots to help fuel a strong defensive effort by the Huskies.
Scouting the Falcons... The Air Force Falcons return home to the Cadet Ice Arena after seeing their five-game winning streak ended with a pair of losses at Robert Morris last weekend, 3-1 and 5-3. The Falcons are 7-1-2 at home this season and haven't lost at home since dropping a 4-2 decision to Bentley on November 29th. Air Force comes in as the third highest scoring team in Atlantic Hockey thanks to a pair of top-10 scorers in juniors Chad Demers and Cole Gunner. Demers has 30 points on the season (11g/19a), tied for fifth in the league rankings. Gunner is right there with him at 29 points (11g/18a), tied for seventh. Senior Tony Thomas leads the AHA and is fourth in the nation with four game winning goals on the year. Junior defenseman Alex Halloran ranks sixth among the league's defensemen in scoring with three goals and 12 assists this season. In net, the Falcons have one of the top goaltenders in the league in senior Jason Torf who ranks fifth in goals against average (2.59) and save percentage (.914). He has nine wins in net this year.
UCONN OFFICIAL STORE
UCONN OFFICIAL AUCTIONS