Follow the Huskies
UConn fans can follow the Huskies all season on the official athletics website UConnHuskies.com, on Twitter @UConnMHOC, on Facebook at facebook.com/UConnMHOC and now on Instagram at UConnMHOC. Be sure to use the hashtags #AllAboard and #IceBus
- UConn closes out the non-conference schedule Tuesday night hosting Brown University. The Huskies are coming off a 7-4 loss to Sacred Heart a week ago. The Bears are winless in their last six games (0-5-1) and are coming off a 2-2 tie with Union on Saturday.
- The Huskies return to Hockey East play full time with a trip up to Merrimack this Saturday. UConn enters the week tied with Northeastern for seventh place in the standings (11 pts). Just four points currently separates sixth place (Vermont - 12 pts) and 12th place (UMass - 8 pts) in the standings.
- UConn’s power play has scored in four-straight games and five of the last six. The Huskies are seventh in the league and 22nd nationally at 19.4% (21-108).
- UConn’s penalty kill gave up their first power play goal in seven games in the lost to SHU, ending a streak of killing off 22-straight penalties.
- Freshman Max Letunov currently has a point scoring streak of six-straight games, while posting at least a point in 14 of the last 15. He has five goals in his last four games.
- Letunov leads the club with 29 points (13g-16a) and is averaging 1.12 ppg, 10th in Hockey East. His 29 points is tied for fifth in the league in scoring and is second among rookies.
- Nationally, he ranks fourth among rookies in scoring and his 13 goals is tied for fourth.
- Freshman Tage Thompson has 22 points, tied for fourth among HEA rookies. He has scored a point in 12 of the last 16 games, collecting 15 points over that stretch (6g-9a-14p).
- Thompson has nine power play goals this season to lead Hockey East and the NCAA.
- Sophomore Tanner Creel has started the last three games in goal (0-2-1) for injured starter Rob Nichols. On the season, he has a 3.26 goals against and an .889 save percentage in 6 games.
Last Time Out... UConn freshman Max Letunov scored a pair of goals to add to his team leading total but Sacred Heart University scored a season-high seven goals on the way to a 7-4 win over the Huskies at the XL Center last Tuesday. The Pioneers got a four point night from junior Justin Danforth who scored twice and assisted on two more in the win. SHU added a pair of goals from junior Jeff Carroll and a goal and an assist from senior Zach Luczyk. UConn’s Letunov scored twice in the first period to extend his point streak to six-straight games. He has notched at least a point in 14 of the last 15 games and has now scored a goal in the last four. Sacred Heart jumped out to a 2-0 lead just 29 seconds into the game and never looked back. UConn trailed 3-2 after the first and tied the game on a Spencer Naas goal midway through the second but SHU scored back-to-back in a span of 1:01 just over two minutes later to take control for good. Brett Magnus made 21 saves for Sacred Heart to earn the win.
Last Meeting with Brown... Brown University junior captain Mark Naclerio provided the game’s only goal as the Bears posted a 1-0 shutout over UConn at home last season. UConn goaltender Rob Nichols made 27 saves in taking the loss for the Huskies while Brown’s Tim Ernst made 25 stops to earn his first career shutout. Naclerio’s goal came after the two teams battled their way under the 10 minute mark of the third period to a scoreless draw. UConn looked to clear deep in their zone when Naclerio picked-up the loose puck and quickly deposited it past Nichols. Both teams finished 0-for-5 on the power play.
Scouting the Bears... The Brown Bears lost 4-3 to RPI and tied Union, 2-2, this past weekend at home. The Bears are winless in their last six (0-5-1) with their last win coming over Providence in overtime, 4-3, in the Mayor’s Cup game on to start off January. Brown is 2-10-3 in the ECAC, currently last in the league standings. Senior Nick Lappin leads the team with 27 points on 12 goals and 15 assists. Freshman Tommy Marchin has impressed in his first season with 21 points (11g/10a). In goal, junior Tim Ernst has a 2.94 goals against and a .895 save percentage.
UConn vs. ECAC...
- The Huskies were 2-2-1 against the ECAC last season. UConn is 15-52-9 all-time against teams from the ECAC.
- UConn fell in their only other meeting against the league this season, losing at home to No. 2 Quinnipiac, 6-2.
- The Huskies have faced Brown (1-5-1), Colgate (2-5-0), Dartmouth (0-2-0), Princeton (0-3-0), Quinnipiac (11-16-2), Rensselaer (0-3-2), Union (1-7-4) and Yale (0-11-0) from the league.
UCONN OFFICIAL STORE
UCONN OFFICIAL AUCTIONS