Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Downs Visiting Canisius 4-1 For Third Straight Win


STORRS, CT (Feb. 13) - The University of Connecticut men’s hockey team recorded nearly twice as many shots as their opponents in the final two periods, and came out with a 4-1 win over Canisius at the UConn Ice Arena. UConn took an early lead and then out-scored the Griffs 2-0 in the final period to seal the victory and win their third straight game.

The win improves UConn to 8-14-5 overall, and 5-9-3 in the Atlantic Hockey Association. The Huskies currently stand in a tie for sixth place with Army, and are now just one point behind Canisius who in fifth place with an overall record of 5-12-8, and a conference record of 5-8-4.

Freshman Brian Burns (Binghamton, N.Y.) opened the scoring midway through the opening period, taking a feed from junior Tim Olsen (Vadnais Heights, Minn.) and finding the back of the net on a power play. The 1-0 lead stood until 2:37 remained in the first period and Canisius’ Rob Martin scored the lone goal of the night for the Griffs. Martin took advantage of a power play and a pass from Ryan Corcoran to slip the puck past UConn goaltender Scott Tomes (Windham, N.H.).

Late in the second period, UConn junior Beau McLaughin (Virginia Beach, Va.) nearly put the Huskies back up by one when he caught Canisius goaltender Bryan Worosz out of the net, but his shot from the goal line was just wide and hit the post. The Huskies stayed dominant on offense and scored what proved to be the game-winner with 2:11 remaining in the second period when freshman Bill Magnuson (Rochdale, Mass.) collected a rebound off a shot by Nick Marean (Waukee, Iowa) and slid the puck into the lower left corner.

The Huskies out-shot the Griffs 15-8 in the final period, and came up with two insurance goals in the process. Freshman J.R. Corkery (Salt Lake City, Utah) skated down the ice and found an opening in the upper right corner of the net to put UConn up 3-1 with 5:47 remaining in the game. Marean recorded his second assist of the night on the goal, and freshman James Martin (Rogers, Minn.) also assisted on the score. Sophomore Chris Uber (Ithaca, N.Y.) scored UConn’s final goal of the night on an empty net in the final minute of play with an assist from Olsen.

Worosz saved 32 shots for Canisius, and Tomes made 21 stops in the contest.

The two teams will face-off again tomorrow, Saturday, February 14, at 7:05 p.m. in the UConn Ice Arena.