March 14, 2013
STORRS, Conn. - The University of Connecticut men's ice hockey team, seeded fourth, hosts the five-seed Robert Morris in the Atlantic Hockey quarterfinals this weekend. The best-of-three series gets underway at 7:05 on Friday night and continues into Saturday and Sunday, if necessary, at the Freitas Ice Forum.
Regular Season Wrap-Up: Connecticut closed out the regular season by taking three points from Sacred Heart to clinch a bye to the Atlantic Hockey quarterfinals; its second in the last three seasons. The Huskies enter the postseason riding a five-game unbeaten streak and are 8-2-2 since they last lost back-to-back games on January 19 and 22.
THE SERIES VS. BOBBY MO: Robert Morris owns the brief all-time series against Connecticut, 5-1, since joining the AHA for the 2010-2011 season.
• The Huskies first win over RMU came on the road on January 11, 3-2.
• This is the first postseason meeting between the two programs.
WHAT’S AT STAKE: The winner of this weekend’s best-of-three series will advance to play in the AHA’s Championship Weekend at Blue Cross Arena in Rochester, N.Y.
2013 HOCKEY: In UConn’s last 19 games since the turn of the calendar, the Huskies are 12-5-2, including 10-4-2 in AHA action.
• UConn has outscored teams 64-47.
• The power play has gone 22-89 (24.7%); the PK has gone 74/85 (87.1%).
• 16 players have combined to score 64 goals. 20 of 22 skaters have notched a point.
• Brant Harris (11-15-26), Jordan Sims (7-16-23) and Sean Ambrosie (6-15-21) have led the scoring.
• Matt Grogan owns an 11-2-2 record with a 1.96 GAA and a .939 save percentage over that stretch.
STREAKERS: Entering the postseason, Robert Morris is riding the nation’s longest, current unbeaten streak at seven games (5-0-2). Connecticut (4-0-1) is one of four teams with the third longest unbeaten streak of five games.
HITTING THE WINNING MARK: Connecticut secured a winning record for the 2012-2013 season with a 4-0 victory in the regular season finale at Sacred Heart. It marks the first winning record for the Huskies since the 1999-2000 season (19-16-1, MAAC Hockey Champions).
UCONN SPECIAL TEAMS: The Huskies are converting on the power play at 18.1% in 2012-13. UConn has scored on 27 of 149 opportunities.
• UConn started the season 1-31 on the power play in the opening five games. The Huskies scored in the opening game against UMass then failed to score on the PP in four straight.
• UConn had a PPG in six straight games prior to a 4-1 loss to HC on 2/15.
• UConn has a PPG in and 15 of the last 20 games.
• UConn ranks sixth in AHA play at 19.%, scoring on 24-of-123 attempts.
• Connecticut was sensational on the power play in 2011-12 at 25.7%.
• UConn ranked third in Division I behind Harvard (27.3) and Maine (26.7). UConn was just as dominant in AHA play. In the AHA, UConn converted at a 25.3% (25/99) rate.
UCONN OFFICIAL STORE
UCONN OFFICIAL AUCTIONS