July 15, 2014
STORRS, Conn. – The UConn men’s hockey program is gearing up for their debut in Hockey East this fall as we take a look at the 11 other programs that make up the historic conference. First up is the Boston College Eagles. Season tickets for the Huskies 11-game slate at the XL Center in downtown Hartford are on sale now at UConnTickets.com.
UConn and Boston College have never met on the ice but that will change when the Huskies host the Eagles in their home opener on Wednesday, November 5th at the XL Center.
Nov. 5th vs. BC – XL Center
Jan. 24th at BC – Kelley Rink
All-Time Series – Have Never Met
First Meeting – n/a
Last Meeting – n/a
Joined Hockey East – 1984-85 (30 seasons)
Hockey East Titles – 13
2013-14 Record/Finish – 16-2-2 / 1st place
Boston College Notes:
- Boston College is one of the founding members of Hockey East and the league’s most successful program. The Eagles have won 13 Hockey East regular season titles over the league’s 30 seasons.
- Head Coach Jerry York will begin his 43rd year as a head coach and 21st at BC when the puck drops on the 2014-15 season. York is college hockey’s all-time winningest coach with 963 wins. He has posted 496 wins at BC while leading his alma mater to four National Championships (2012, 2010, 2008, 2001).
- UConn head coach Mike Cavanaugh was a member of Jerry York’s staff at BC for 18 seasons before being named the Huskies head coach in 2013.
- Boston College finished 28-8-4 overall in 2013-14 and was ranked 3rd in both the final USHO.com and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine polls. The Eagles posted a 16-2-2 Hockey East mark, capturing the regular season title.
- BC made their 33rd appearance in the NCAA Tournament last season and advanced to their 24th Frozen Four, tying the University of Michigan for the most Frozen Four berths all-time. The Eagles saw their national title run end at the hands of Union College, 5-4, in the semifinal.
- Former standout forward and current member of the Calgary Flames Johnny Gaudreau became the third Eagle in program history to win the Hobey Baker Memorial Award, presented annually to the nation's most outstanding Division I men's college hockey player. Gaudreau was also tabbed College Player of the Year by USA Hockey.
- Junior defenseman Michael Matheson will serve as captain of the 2014-15 Boston College hockey team while seniors Michael Sit and Quinn Smith will wear the “A” as assistant captains.
- BC had three players taken in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft in incoming freshman forwards Alex Tuch and Sonny Milano and sophomore goaltender Thatcher Demko. Milano was selected 16th overall by Columbus and Tuch went 18th overall to Minnesota. Demo went to Vancouver in the second round with the 36th overall pick.
The University of Connecticut will become the 12th member of Hockey East in 2014-15. The historic league just celebrated its 30th anniversary season in 2013-14. Over the past 30 years, Hockey East has cemented itself as the nation's elite college hockey league, having earned 38 berths in the NCAA Frozen Four and boasting eight NCAA title winners: the University of Maine in 1993 and 1999, Boston University in 1995 and 2009, Boston College in 2001, 2008, 2010 and 2012.
UConn joins Boston College, Boston University, the University of Maine, the University of Massachusetts, the University of Massachusetts Lowell, Merrimack College, the University of New Hampshire, Northeastern University, the University of Notre Dame, Providence College and the University of Vermont to round out the league's membership.